Danstar Belle Saison: In mid primary now, should I maintain elevated temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarmac

Reaction score
This is the first time I've used my aquarium in a cooler fermentation chamber and wanted to experiment with the Danstar Belle Saison yeast which is known well for doing good things at high temperatures.

I had DME + sugar ingredients laying around as well as 2 packets of Danstar Belle Saison and an empty 6.5 gal carboy with time to kill. So I went out bought the S. Goldings and Saaz pellets and came up with this high gravity recipe aimed to test what this yeast can do (5 gal):

7 lbs - CBW Pilsen Light DME (Briess) (2.0 SRM) - 68.3 %
2 lbs - Candi Syrup, Golden (5.0 SRM) - 19.5 %
1 lbs - Candi Sugar, Homemade Light (5.0 SRM) - 9.8 %
4.0 oz - Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) - 2.4 %
1.50 oz - Styrian Goldings [3.20 %] - Boil 60.0 mi - 13.1 IBUs
1.00 oz - Styrian Goldings [3.20 %] - Boil 45.0 mi - 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz - Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min - 6.3 IBUs
0.50 oz - Styrian Goldings [3.20 %] - Boil 15.0 mi - 2.2 IBUs
1.00 Items - Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)

Post boil OG was 1.085 (eaxctly on target per BeerSmith)

Fermentation schedule:

1-Mar-14: Pitched 22g (2 packets) of Danstar Belle Saison @ 64F, rehydrated exactly per package instructions, activity within 6 hours
2-Mar-14: High krausen @ 74F, Vigorous activity
3-Mar-14: +temp to 82F, Airlock bubbles 1 per 1 second
4-Mar-14: +temp to 84F, krausen gone, Airlock bubbles 1 per 2 second
5-Mar-14: +temp to 86F this morning

I plan on getting it to 88F by 7-Mar-14.

Should I hold it at 88F until I bottle? I always have left my beer in the primary for a month - long after they have attenuated just to "clean up" but should I leave this beer at 88F for a month? Should I Secondary at 50F? I have the ability to control my carboy temperature anywhere within 50-90F.

I'm interested in hearing any suggestions you may have. This is the first time I've artificially controlled fermentation temperature and don't know what results I can achieve post primary. Thanks :mug:

I would leave it at the temp until it reaches FG, give it another week to clear and cleanup and then package it. Personally I see no reason to secondary or leave it sit for a month if it's done. If you elect to secondary and bulk condition for the whole month then there is no need to maintain any temp since it's done fermenting.

Definitely fermented quick - just took a sample, 1.010... down 75 pts in 96 hours since pitch. I just set temp to 88F and will leave it there until I take another sample in 72hrs. Tastes great! Spicey, lemon zest, yum!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Pitching Yeast today. Room temp here is somewhere between 77-82. From what I read above that sounds fine. Can anybody confirm? Cheers

Pitching Yeast today. Room temp here is somewhere between 77-82. From what I read above that sounds fine. Can anybody confirm? Cheers

I had lots of disturbing phenols, even starting from 22-23°C (74 F). My next batch with this yeast will be at 1 8°C or lower for first two days, then I'll raise temperatures.

I had a brew that was only elevated to 78, but easily one of the best saisons I have ever made. It was similar to the cottage saison you can find the recipe for on this site.

Latest posts

Back