Dandelion wine query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I am making this from p149 of CJJ Berry's book. There is no mention of adding a campden tablet to the must to kill off any wild yeast before adding the brewer's yeast. Is this not needed or should I put it in during the two days I am allowing the flower heads to steep in water?

Also, the recipe seems to indicate that the raisins (which I am using instead of concentrate) are added to the demijohn. Can I add them to the initial bucket when I add the lemon and orange juice, and then strain into the demijohn after the yeast has started? I am a bit concerned that the raisins will take up valuable space in the demijohn, but will the 3 days in the initial bucket be enough time for them to contribute their part to the mix?

Any help most appreciated.

Ross

I don't have that book, but I don't normally use campden in my dandelion wine, because I boil the petals.

My recipe is posted (link is under my avatar under 'recipes'). It's not really my recipe, as it's mostly from Jack Keller's website, so I should say that it's the recipe I always use now, not "my" recipe!

I picked some 4oz of pedals a few weeks ago then vacuumed sealed and placed in the freezer. Now the dandelions are pretty much not flowering around me.

I started a 1gal batch yesterday. my first attempt. my landlord give me a few pointers. i added raisins right from the get go. no campden. just boiling water. i plan on racking it and adding new raisins to help with the bitter as per advice.

I started a 1gal batch yesterday. my first attempt. my landlord give me a few pointers. i added raisins right from the get go. no campden. just boiling water. i plan on racking it and adding new raisins to help with the bitter as per advice.

Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back