Dampfbier recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speer1234

Reaction score
Hello! Im following this dampfbier recipe and will be my first brew:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 15.00 L
Brewer: Ulrich
Boil Size: 10.93 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.86 %
1.20 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 34.29 %
0.45 kg Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 12.86 %
0.15 kg Corn Meal (1.3 SRM) Grain 4.29 %
0.15 kg Unmalted Wheat (1.6 SRM) Grain 4.29 %
0.05 kg Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
21.00 gm Tettnang [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.81 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.69 %
Bitterness: 15.4 IBU Calories: 493 cal/l
Est Color: 7.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 3.50 kg
Sparge Water: 5.38 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
20 min Step 1 Add 10.00 L of water at 65.0 C 60.0 C
20 min Step 2 Heat to 65.0 C over 10 min 65.0 C
40 min Step 3 Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C
0 min Mashout Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 85.0 gm Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 15.6 C Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 11.1 C

Ive got all the required ingredients but the site I ordered does not have unmalted wheat nor cornmeal.

Would normal groccery store bought cornmeal work, or is there a different kind for beer making?

Lastly, what difference would be brought upon the final product if I use umalted barley compared to the unmalted wheat?

Thanks and cheers!

:fro:

It's a German style, so it has to be. My understanding is that Dampfbier is essentially an Oktoberfest beer with weizen yeast. I've made one and it was pretty good. Can't remember the recipe off the top of my head though.

I've brewed a few of these. They are simple, tasty, and quick. To that point, your recipe, to me, seems a little more complicated than necessary. I follow the Brew Your Own writeup on the style: 70% Pils, 30% Munich.

If I were you, I'd up the Pils, add some munich and drop everything else (you could keep the Vienna if you wanted). Unless you're going for your own take, then good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

I'll just drop the

since I cant find either and just use what I have. Catawampus, do you have a link to this? The instructions I have too, i feel are a bit complicated. This too being my first brew.

I'll just drop the

since I cant find either and just use what I have. Catawampus, do you have a link to this? The instructions I have too, i feel are a bit complicated. This too being my first brew.

Well, if you want to brew to style, I doubt the smoked malt will help you, unless you really like it---not sure how that would work out with the wheat yeast either.

But, just add Pils and Munich to the other grains you want to use until you hit target gravity. If I were you and it was a first brew, I'd simplify the mash as well, just do a single infusion somewhere around 152 F ~ 66 C and hold it for an hour. The hopping looks good for the style. You have the correct yeast strain. I'd ferment anywhere from 162-168 F (72-75 C).

If you just google "byo dampfbier" you'll find the recipe.

BTW, check your water volumes. Unless you're topping up with water at the end of the boil, your boil volume should be greater than your batch volume for an all-grain brew.

Back