Dammit I'm Mad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
(My favorite palindrome)

Watched my wort not come to a boil for like 15 minutes... Got bored, opened the New York Times app on my phone, scrolled past 50 headlines about Trump, checked the wort (still no boil), finished the mini crossword in 45 seconds, looked up to see the pot boil over. Stupid.

Not the worst boil over I've ever had. Hot break lasted a long time, though. And the hop break was easily 15 minutes of me feathering the valve on the burner. Finally gave up and let it roll at a lower boil.

Just had to vent. Thanks for listening. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463245156.828981.jpg

Oh yeah, that's happened to me too!
Ferm-cap has solved that problem for me too, btw :ban:

Happens to most of us at some point. I've walked away for like 2 minutes and its suddenly in a raging boil.

I walked away for a minute last weekend, and my brewstand was trying to self destruct. the gas regulator hose splits off to two valves, one for the HLT, one for the BK, and it came loose, causing a gas leak, which of course, ignited, resulting in rapid pulse, and running towards the tank to shut it off. All in all, no damage, just some melted zip ties, and a new pair of underwear. But hey, no boilover.

Been there as well. At least it was outside (less to worry about cleaning) and no one got hurt! I've burned my hand pretty good from a boil over just a couple of months ago.

Glad you didn't get hurt and only lost a little wort!

All things considered, it was pretty minor. I knew I wasn't alone, I just needed to vent a little. Really I just need a bigger kettle.

That's why I clip on my thermometer to the pot when bringing to a boil. Lets me see how close I am getting.

Your new best friend: Leak Puppy

Water Alarm - Leak Puppy Electronic Leak Detector - Finds Leaks Before Damage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OUD5W24/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure if this is a serious post, lol. Can it attach to a pot? Kind of a funny product at any rate. I've seen similar that don't look like kids toys.

Either way, I actually saw the boil over, I just couldn't react to it. It takes less than 5 second from the time it starts to rise to the time it goes over the edge. In fact, I had closed the pin valve to the gas before it boiled over and it was just too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the hop break was easily 15 minutes of me feathering the valve on the burner. Finally gave up and let it roll at a lower boil.

Just had to vent. Thanks for listening. View attachment 354354

What I do to knock down a boil that threatens to boil over is spray water on it. I have a dedicated sprayer just for that purpose. I get them in the travel size/sample size aisle at Wally World.

The spray seems to cool down the foaming just enough that it doesn't boil over. Works for hop addition, hot break, haven't found anything it won't cool down. Meanwhile, the boil continues.

I switched to electric brewing and a larger pot to avoid boil-overs. Pot boiled over as I was standing there watching it tonight.

I try not to leave or turn around after the foam starts to build up. I still get a boil-over once in a while in a 10 gallon pot if I'm not right there.

Another stupid thing to do is to forget to turn the heat off after starting the chill. I recirculate my boil through a CFC to sanitize it the last 10-15 minutes and sometimes I turn the chill water on to start the chill and forget to turn off the flame. I can attest that this can add many minutes to a chill.

Not sure if this is a serious post, lol. Can it attach to a pot? Kind of a funny product at any rate. I've seen similar that don't look like kids toys.

Either way, I actually saw the boil over, I just couldn't react to it. It takes less than 5 second from the time it starts to rise to the time it goes over the edge. In fact, I had closed the pin valve to the gas before it boiled over and it was just too late.

Haha totally serious.

I do a completely closed transfer from carboy to keg and keep this guy on the edge of the rim. It will beep if I neglect the fill at the wrong moment and give a beep if I over fill or foam over.

I doubt it will stand the heat of pot... If you brewed on a stand, the boil over might catch the puppy and then it could bark

Last time I came close to a boil over turning the gas off and stirring like mad stopped it... did I get some oxygen in the hot wort? Probably! Beats the heck out of trying to get burnt on sugar off the stove!

And of you want a real bad boil over make jam some time that is 50% sugar... yeah that one took me a week to clean up! I tried a half dozen different cleaners before settling for good old fashioned soaking for 24 hours. And I got to eat out because the stove top was full of water!

Latest posts

Back