"Dad, I think the dog pooped in the basement."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebstauffer

Reaction score
That from my 14 year old daughter on walking into the house last night. I crappeth you not. As per my thread of a few days ago: two batches, both raw cider, one "chapitalized" to 1060, one left at 1042. 1060 got wlp775, 1042 got 4184. Fermenting around 68F. The latter smells of butt. Serious "the dog pooped in the basement" stank. I've made quite a bit of cider have never had this much sulfur smell. Let's just hope it all blows off with time. Now time to check the basement...

Lol, poor dog

If you need to prevent future rhino farts in the event you're making something you know will or might stink terribly of sulfur, you can use Paisano's carbon filter rig: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8338840@N06/sets/72157625845526344/with/5363777791/

I've used it, and even with the worst rhino farts and cheap Petco brand activated carbon, the odor was completely removed.

They're cheap and easy to make.

Try adding some yeast nutrient (dissolved in some water or cider first, to avoid foaming), and stirring it up. Stressed yeast mixed with c02 can smell pretty bad, and it's usually a pretty easy fix to de-stress the yeast just by degassing a bit and adding some nutrient.

Try adding some yeast nutrient

Even now when the ferment is so far along? I'm always a bit angsty about adding anything once the fermentation is going. I'd hate to introduce something that the yeast isn't able to out-compete. Probably should have added nutes early on as the replier to my original thread mentioned.

Question: will the sulfur eventually all dissipate? If that's the case I'll just warn the family not to be upset with the dog!

Lol, poor dog

If you need to prevent future rhino farts in the event you're making something you know will or might stink terribly of sulfur, you can use Paisano's carbon filter rig: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8338840@N06/sets/72157625845526344/with/5363777791/

I've used it, and even with the worst rhino farts and cheap Petco brand activated carbon, the odor was completely removed.

They're cheap and easy to make.

I made a similar one with a pill bottle instead, hot glue the lid upside down on it and it latches perfectly onto the air locks.

That being said, not a hint of scent came through. Took the lid off to rack on sunday and the rubber gasket around the ring stunk of the sulfur. Verdict: The carbon worked!

Back