D47 going nutz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
20200310_195442.jpg

I added aspartic acid, and glutamine along with the regular amounts of fermaid k and o. I'm experimenting with amino acid additions to store bought juice as a nitrogen source in place of DAP. The bubbles coming out of the airlock were fun to watch, but I ended up putting a blow off tube on the carboy to avoid a nasty mess! By the way, this is a cider made from a blend of berkeley bowl gravenstein, Ratzklaff farms, and Martinellis juices.

Last edited:
What's the story with the different amino acids?
No verdict just yet. I have 4 with aminos going now. Seems that fermentation takes off really hard and fast, and once they are finished, I'll post the tasting results if any. There's oslo/opshaug, d47, spontaneous ferment, and framgarden ciders fermenting. We'll see soon :)

Does Berkeley Bowl press it fresh?

I went to Cal and remember that sounds like the kind of thing they would do : )

I meant what hypothesis are you testing?
I read that certain amino acids are responsible for the apple flavor and other esters post fermentation. So I want to see whether that holds true especially for kveik strains. When I took hydrometer readings the other day, I do believe that there is a difference. However, the d47 seemed to be less flavorful than the two kveik ferments, which surprised me to some degree since it's at room temp and the others are at 90-93F. The kveik tasted much better. The hydrometer readings were 1.004, 1.006 and 1.009, the latter is the d47.

D47 is not an estery yeast, but kveik strains are, so it shouldn't be surprising they are more flavorful.

certain amino acids are responsible for the apple flavor and other esters
Do you have a link to the article?

I always add amino acids if I use nutrient, just not individually.

I'll dig the articles up on my computer, I also listened to a podcast, but as podcasts often go, it was rather lacking.

The framgarden cider has a really strong, ripe fruit aroma, and tastes even more fruity, not just apple, maybe floral-tropical. The SG is 1.001. The D47, doesnt taste bad, a bit too tannic/phenolic but that's my fault for adding too much grape tannin. I typically add 3-4g per 5 gallons, but perhaps the martinellis has some tannin?

Next up is a 3 gallon batch with wlp 773, which I like just fine with simple nutrient additions. Gravenstein and ratzklaff farms juices. I get the impression that the ratzklaff has a fair bit of aromatic apples in its composition. I did visit their website and recall that they use mostly if not entirely dessert apples, might be some culinary too. To be clear, 'culinary', to me, means more for cooking and less for eating fresh.

Autolysed yeast contains the exact ratio of amino acids that yeast actually need.
https://scottlab.com/fermaid-o-fermo
With Kveik strains I add it all up front, but with ale, wine or champagne yeasts I stagger the additions. I use either or both K and O typically.

I am adding the amino acids to the must assuming that the juice I am using may be lacking in some aminos, and I just want to see if anything changes as far as taste and mouthfeel are concerned. Just having a little fun at the end of the day really. Sometimes I wish I would have studies chemistry along with biology, but at the time, I was more interested in biological systems, both plant and animal, and while I had most of the math requirements, I would have had to stay in college a bit longer than I wanted to (I started at Cal REALLY late at 36yrs, and the math department there chews folks up and spits them out, so I decided to skip it. Made it to Calc II...)

Anyhow, here are the links to the articles you requested:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jib.519
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jib.318

Does Berkeley Bowl press it fresh?

I went to Cal and remember that sounds like the kind of thing they would do : )
Sorry, I replies to this query, but the text didn't load for some reason.
I am not sure if its constantly pressed fresh during the year. I think its most likely pressed once, bottled, and stored. How long ago were you at Cal?

Gosh, started there almost 15 years ago...time flies.
Never actually got a chance to go to Berkeley Bowl, since I lived somewhat far away and did not have a car.
I was in the Cooking Club, however, and often we'd use ingredients in our club meets from Berkeley Bowl.

Back