D-47 at 10-15 degrees Celsius?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murika

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts about D-47 in temps that are too warm, but can't for the life of me find one on temps that are too low.

We started our first mead attempt on Wednesday. It's at my fiancee's aunt's house. She keeps her house at 19 degrees, so we figured we were in business.

I checked on it today (Sunday) and the thermometer for it said 24 degrees. I'm assuming this extra heat is from the yeast.

How bad is this going to be for my mead?

(the starting gravity was 1.135 and the gravity today was around 1.1)

We immediately placed the fermenter under her house in a crawlspace/half basement thing she has. In Montreal it's cold, and this space had a temp of around 12 degrees today, with temp fluctuations in the next month of plus or minus 5 Celsius I would wager.

The low end of tolerance for D-47 is 15 Celsius. This fermenter was put into 12 Celsius. We wrapped the fermenter in a thick blanket to protect it from light and to insulate it. Would the heat from the yeast be enough to keep it going? How far down do you think the temp could drop down there before I get a stuck fermentation?

I know there's a lot to read in here. Any knowledge and help from someone with more experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've had a 1 gal traditional go dry at 52°f with D47, it took a bit longer like a month in the primary and 4 in the secondary but it finished and is a great sipper.
Just make sure you do the nutes addition and degas everyday for a week or 2 and you'll be good as long as it doest get entirely too cold.

On another note, I just did a session mead with D47 at elevated temps, 75°f to bring out esters and it's fruity almost like citrus in a good way.

It's mentioned that the "off" flavors from going out of the recommended temp range can be bad although some like me like the "off" flavors and it's the complexity I look for.
It's not for everyone and I don't do it all that often but It can be good as I've found out by playing around.

Back