Czech Amber Lager...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzwahr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope y'all are doing well.

I have a beer that I *think* ended up being a Czech Amber Lager - here's the story:

I intended to make a bohemian pilsner per JZ's recipe in BCS. So I went into the LHBS, weighed out my grains and began grinding them. While the grinder was running, I realized I had gotten CaraBohemian instead of CaraPils - they were right next to each other, and i realized it as I was looking at the grain color on top of the pile. It was too late by then so i just went with it. (and no, i had not been drinking - yet :drunk:)

I brewed it up, and what I came up with looked more like a vienna because of the CaraBohemian. I used Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian as the base malt vs German Pils.

Well, at the end of the day (and almost the end of the keg!), the beer is DAMN good. Probably one of the better lagers I have made. It was a mistake, but a delicious mistake. Rich but not overwhelming malt character, slightly bready, but with the nice Saaz bitterness and almost citrusy finish. The biggest thing that comes to mind is drinking this is - smooth and malty (also "I want another one" comes to mind). I'll definitely make it again but I honestly don't know what to classify it as. I mean, it kinda reminds me of a vienna lager but it's got too much hop character for that. Best way i can describe it is if you took an Oktoberfest, a BoPils and a Vienna lager and merged them that's what it tastes like. It's heaven to me, because that's my 3 favorite styles anyway.

I've attached a pic of it - it's got a beautiful color, not 100% clear but that's because I forgot whirlfloc.

I'm not quite sure how to classify it. This is the closest I have come up with from the BJCP Guideline draft for 2014 - http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2014 BJCP Style Guidelines (DRAFT).pdf:

3C. Czech Amber Lager
Malt-driven amber Czech lager with hop character that can vary from low to quite significant. The malt flavors can vary quite a bit, leading to different interpretations ranging from drier, bready, and slightly biscuity to sweeter and somewhat caramelly.
Comments: The Czech name of the style is Polotmavé Pivo, which translates as half dark. This style is a combination of the Czech styles Polotmavý Ležák (4.4 – 5.0%) and Polotmavé Speciální Pivo (5.3 – 5.8%).
Style Comparison: The style can vary from similar to a Vienna lager but with Saazer-type hop character, to having significantly richer and more caramelly character approaching that of an amber ale or bitter. Large brewery versions are generally similar to Czech Pilsners with slightly darker malt flavors and less hop, while smaller breweries often make versions with considerable hop
character, malt complexity, or residual sweetness.

Here's the grain/hop bill:

12lb Floor Malted Bohemian Pilz (Weyermann)
.75lb CaraBohemian (Weyermann)
4 Saaz hop additions at 60,30,10 and 0 - for 39ish IBUs
I used 50% distilled water to soften it
Used the Pilsner Urquell yeast strain (WLP800)

So what would you guys call it?

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving! :mug:

IMG_4113.jpg

Latest posts

Back