Czech $aaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemicalcraig

Reaction score
Went to the LHBS today and found a cooler full of hops. We talked (over a glass of awesome schwarzbier brewed on premises) about the shortage and it seem czech saaz are the most expensive, fetching over $3/oz. Luckily cascade is still the cheapest. What is the most expensive hop people have run into lately?

I picked up 12oz of hops for this weekends brew (summit, saaz, northern brewers and fuggles) each for $3.00 an ounce.

MikeFlynn74 said:
FUSION- you must tell me where you got Summit!
Picked them up at my LHBS.

http://www.sanfranciscobrewcraft.com/product_p/hop135.htm

I picked up 6oz of Summit Pellets 16.7% AA for $3.00 an oz. I know the www site say 3oz max w/o purchasing grains and perhaps that is so for www orders but I generally am in there once a week or so and they gave me no grief in getting 12oz yesterday.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Create a google account... nice

sigh

Yeah their www site sucks. The owner who has had the place since 1978 is very knowledgable but I've never seen him get out of chair. Ever. He's also an old grateful dead hippie who was talking about that last brewing class he held where everyone pulled out pipes and/or joints and proceeded to get loaded. Great shop but as for as technology goes they are Luddites.

my local HBS sells cascade for $1.50 / oz, as long as you buy other ingredients from him as well, and are only buying for yourself (IE: no buying 10 oz or whatever...) Actually, he's doing a great job of holding down prices for his customers, both on hops, grain and ME.

LHBS has most of their hops for $3/oz. a few were cheaper, Argentine Cascade was $2.50/oz, and some were more expensive like Spalt and Saaz.

Back