Cutting back on base grain. Should I change anything else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerens

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 9.5 lbs of 2 row and I want to tone it down a bit to 8.5. Should I change anything else in the recipe?

74.5 9.50 lbs. Marris Otter (8.5 would be 72%)
3.9 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt America
7.8 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America
7.8 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America
3.9 0.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America
2.0 0.25 lbs. Pale Chocolate Malt

0.50 oz. Horizon Pellet 60 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 10 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 0 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet min.

Cheers!

Nah a pound won't throw anything off that much.

Just out of curiosity what's the reason for cutting back?

Trying to keep the level of alcohol down in my beers. At 9.5 lbs the abv was around 7 and then I can't drink more than a few without feeling the effects the next day. Any idea what would happen if I cut another pound of base out of it? I am worried that the beer will no longer be balanced.

You could always keep the ratios of grain and hops the same but make a larger volume if ABV is the concern. Logistically it might be easier than messing with the recipe itself.

You could drop down either the munich or crystal 40 to .5 pounds if you think balance of sweetness could be an issue

I plugged your recipe into beersmith and when I take out 2 lbs of Two Row the percentage of Crystal malts goes from 10% to about 14%. I think that would be significant enough to notice some extra sweetness. I would cut the 60 & 120 by a quarter pound each, or something along those lines.:mug:

Back