Cuties for JAOM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCoJo

Reaction score
I made a 1gallon batch of it a couple months ago and I loved it. I was wanting to use the cuties clementines from the store for a 5 gallon batch. How many should I use?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would suggest the fruit of two and the peel of one. Take it with a grain of salt, I hate pith.

Better brewing through science!

Just two for a 5 gallon batch?
They're pretty tiny is all

I made a 3-gallon JAOM last year with Cuties. I used 6 -- they're a lot smaller than a regular orange. I didn't peel 'em -- just cut 'em up per the classic JAOM - and it came out delicious.

Cuties are a little more orangey than other oranges, though. If I used 'em again, I'd probably use 4 or 5 for a 3-gallon batch.

My thought process is 1 orange per gallon, cuties are (REALLY good for one thing), but they're also about half the size. So 10 would be money for me.

My thought process is 1 orange per gallon, cuties are (REALLY good for one thing), but they're also about half the size. So 10 would be money for me.

That was my thoughts as well. I do agree that cuties are a bit fruiter and sweeter than normal oranges although I do like my mead a little fruity. So I was thinking 6 or 7 for a 5 gallon batch. Maybe six of the fruit and two peels? Or maybe just be safe and do 5 of them since they are so sweet.
Also can someone clue me in as why the peels are even added?

The peels seem like they may add some tannins or some type of astringency, (in a good way). I've only made 1 gallon batches of orange vanilla melomels, and I did use 1 large orange and just a small bit of the peel. I really dislike regular oranges, but for some reason I LOVE cuties. I think they are less acidic maybe? I also dunked the orange in star san for a few seconds to kill any wild yeast, probably unnecessary.

Here was an orange blossom honey batch I did with the orange as mentioned above, maybe you can tell a little by the color of it. I just has a slight hint of orange taste, you wouldn't know it was there unless someone told you I think.

Okay so I found a good deal on some orange blossom honey so my recipe will be:
5 gal
18# orange blossom
6 orange cuties
2 peels
5 cinnamon sticks
5 cloves
Some nutmeg and allspice
5 tblsp bread yeast
Any suggestions to alter it?

from what i've read that amount of cloves is probably too much. it will get real intense in there. i would suggest reading more about clove additions to see a good amount to add to 5gal.

Back