Cut SS 55g drum in half=2 27.5g kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike3701

Reaction score
I can get a 55 gallon stainless stell drum for $100, 55g is to big for me. But can i cut the drum in half and turn it into 2 27.5g kettles? Does anyone have experience with 55g drum, will it be strong enough?

It depends on the SS drum. They range from 16 gauge SS to 20 gauge SS. 16 gauge SS would definitely work. 18 gauge is probably ok but 20 gauge may be too light.

well my 15.5 gallon keggle weights around 40 lbs so I'm guessing that 50 gallon drum is of pretty light weight steel.

-=Jason=-

My 55 gallon SS drum boil kettle weighed about 60-70 pounds. It is 16 gauge. I would guess that 45-60 pounds is at least 18 gauge. Sometimes the lids are heavier than the sides, e.g., 16 gauge ends and 18 gauge sides. For $100, I would think it would be hard to go wrong. Is it a closed head drum?

They have closed and open, think I might go there pick out the heaviest ones they have. Still waiting a response about the gauge, they just said it weighs between 45-60 lbs. I would hate to cut it in half and then it not be strong enough to brew in.

Seller could only tell me that they have 304 or 316 stamped on the bottom. Think I'm going to pick one up anyway and see how it works.

Back