Cut my losses?(gulf vacation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I am so sad for the residents and the wildlife immediately affected, and my dilemma must seem petty compared to what they are facing, but, with that said.......

We must commit a significant amount of money towards our Vacation in Gulf Shores, AL in the near future. We are to be there the last week of June. Forget the deposit, it is water under the bridge.

We go to a place that is on the ocean and the bay for relaxation with our 3 kids and for seafood.

No one has a crystal ball, and I don't mean to over-react, and I hate to bail on the local economy there, but, would you still go?

HELP!

Oil is expected to hit the beaches Sunday, barriers are not expected to keep oil out......

I wish I had the extra $ to go and tour the area and teach my kids valuable lessons while supporting a devestated local economy, but with some unforseen expenses, this vacation was looking less and less like a responsible thing to do anyways.

Sorry Alabama.

I bet it's real pretty at night when they light it on fire.

Lol, yeah most google searches of "oil slick gulf vacation" in any order, turn up an endless list of vacation rental sites, touting the activities in Gulf shores. Anything from beach combing to deep sea fishing.

I morbidly half expected those to list:

Wiping crude off of seagulls, collecting dead fish, or just helping with clean up.

:confused:

Not really funny, but if you can't laugh.......

It sucks all around.

Man, I feel your dilemma. Sucks to lose a deposit, always!

This will be North America's Chernobyl before all is said and done.

Glad I'm heading to Myrtle Beach this summer!

I'd say Dont Go, unless you really wanna teach your children about responsibility and blah blah blah.

But then how fun of a vacation is that? "Yeah, Dad took us to see some oil in a large body of water. He also lectured us on being responsible. Thanks Dad!"

Holding out hope.

As valuable as oil is, i can't believe there isn't some genious with a giant vacuum ship who will step in like iron man and fix this crap. WTF.

the dome is already in transit.
no oil here yet, and it looks like all the flood waters coming down from nashville area is going to help push it out and away from us.. for a little while anyway...

Sounds great! I will go, even if seafood prices skyrocket.

Closed beaches will be a deal killer.

Sounds great! I will go, even if seafood prices skyrocket.

Closed beaches will be a deal killer.

fresh seafood prices are already up. the frozen red lobster type stuff hasnt been affected as far as i know... but who would eat that crap when you're this close to the water anyway?

fresh seafood prices are already up. the frozen red lobster type stuff hasnt been affected as far as i know... but who would eat that crap when you're this close to the water anyway?

Not I!

I live for the big gulf shrimp at bordereaux's seafood.

I buy 2 lbs a day and I am in heaven!

*SNIFF SNIFF*

Back