Currently Available minifridge/wine fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakeboarder

Reaction score
I am looking for either a minifridge or wine fridge to hold a 6.5 gallon bucket with airlock. Floor space is important as I am currently in an apartment, hence no chest freezer. The temp controller is already wired and ready to go. Obviously the cheaper the better, but I have searched craigslist for months to find nothing. I'm tired of waiting for a unicorn deal to show up :(

Thanks!

$80 for a mini fridge is a deal. If you can't find one try a home improvement store or electronic store such as Home Depot, lowes, best buy, Sears, or even Costco. If you're tired of waiting for a unicorn deal then stop waiting and buy one. Without knowing your location or budget I can't say much but I'd find it unbelievable there is no mini fridge on Craigslist in your area or within a 30 minute drive.

$80 for a mini fridge is a deal. If you can't find one try a home improvement store or electronic store such as Home Depot, lowes, best buy, Sears, or even Costco. If you're tired of waiting for a unicorn deal then stop waiting and buy one. Without knowing your location or budget I can't say much but I'd find it unbelievable there is no mini fridge on Craigslist in your area or within a 30 minute drive.

The problem is finding one that fits a bucket + airlock. I don't want to have to add a collar or build a cabinet. There are a ton available but are either 1) too small 2) hour drive away 3) people suck at measuring if I ask them to.

I understand that buying used is cheaper, but I am not able to find one. Price is under $300.

Does anyone have any experince with this wine fridge?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591041-47224-FFWC35L2QB_1z11pmp__?productId=50160181&pl=1

I think this one might be too small to hold a fermenter. I got the LFWC42F5LS at Lowes. It is 4.6 cubic feet. I will hold a SSBrewing Brewbucket, or a 6.5 gallon carboy. It is a nice fridge for fermenting, but needs a temp controller to go over 64 degrees F. You need to look at them in person and take measurements to see if a mini fridge will work. I am afraid the one you specified will be too small, but if you can find it in the store, go make some measurements. The main problem is the compressor hump at the back of the fridge.

I think this one might be too small to hold a fermenter. I got the LFWC42F5LS at Lowes. It is 4.6 cubic feet. I will hold a SSBrewing Brewbucket, or a 6.5 gallon carboy. It is a nice fridge for fermenting, but needs a temp controller to go over 64 degrees F. You need to look at them in person and take measurements to see if a mini fridge will work. I am afraid the one you specified will be too small, but if you can find it in the store, go make some measurements. The main problem is the compressor hump at the back of the fridge.

Thank you for the input :mug:

This would make a very flexible fermenter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YW3TUHA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's a little over $300, but you could ferment in 1/2 barrel sankes for 10 gallon batches (or just normal buckets/carboys for 5 gallons).

You could also lager/cold-condition 3 corny's at the same time (it even has a port/bracket for CO2 tank and lines)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3.6 cu. ft fridge. It fits my ale pale with air lock. It does not have a collar. I faint imagine a smaller fridge fitting anything for fermentation even with a collar.

Without knowing your location it's hard to help. If you live an hour away from a major city and you don't want to drive there it will be difficult to find one in town. If it takes an hour to pick up a mini fridge and you just don't want to do it I'm not sure what to say other than ask the guy to meet you half way or order one you know works.

I have a 3.6 cu. ft fridge. It fits my ale pale with air lock. It does not have a collar. I faint imagine a smaller fridge fitting anything for fermentation even with a collar.

Without knowing your location it's hard to help. If you live an hour away from a major city and you don't want to drive there it will be difficult to find one in town. If it takes an hour to pick up a mini fridge and you just don't want to do it I'm not sure what to say other than ask the guy to meet you half way or order one you know works.

That is why I am looking for suggestions :)

Which model is your 3.6 that fits an ale pail? That sounds like what I want.

The problem is finding one that fits a bucket + airlock. I don't want to have to add a collar or build a cabinet. There are a ton available but are either 1) too small 2) hour drive away 3) people suck at measuring if I ask them to.

I understand that buying used is cheaper, but I am not able to find one. Price is under $300.

Does anyone have any experince with this wine fridge?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591041-47224-FFWC35L2QB_1z11pmp__?productId=50160181&pl=1

I believe I have the previous model of the one your looking at here. The only thing that looks different is the thermostat location and one of the shelves on mine is flat without the wine bottle curves in it. I use the flat shelve to set the bucket on. I had to trim down my airlock just a little to give enough room to fit the bucket in with a little space between the airlock and top of cooler. Just measure your bucket and airlock and take your tape measure with you. I got my chiller from Lowe's and it was the only one they had in stock, manager let me have it for a hundred dollar bill.

Isn't there a list on here somewhere of different fridges and their dimensions??

That is why I am looking for suggestions :)

Which model is your 3.6 that fits an ale pail? That sounds like what I want.

It's a much older Sanyo I bought off craigslist. After a 30 minute daily commute I'm not to bothered by driving that far but I wouldn't have driven an hour one way to grab it. Just take a fermenter with you and check the size but don't buy less than a 3.6 cubic foot. Model numbers change really quickly and keeping up with the model differences between all stores is insane.

Finally measured my mini fridge. Inside max vessel I could fit is 22" tall. I could fit a stainless steel brew tech ferment or in there if I had a 90 degree blowoff.

Back