Culturing Wild Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I thought I'd try to culture some yeast off my apple tree in the front yard. It's been four days and I see no yeast activity. I'm curious what I may have done wrong or if I need to just wait longer.

I boiled up 1/2 cup DME in 2 cups water for fifteen minutes. I chilled it, and then I added the skins of four apples from my yard (which I did not wash). Granted, these apples are quite small still, as they won't be ripe until the fall.

I put on an airlock, and every time I walk by I give it a good stir.

Ideas?

Capturing wild yeast can produce all sorts of different results. Sometimes it is succesful, sometime not.

I did it back in the spring with three jars of wort. One total fail, one got yeast but was not a good candidate for brewing, third one was a great success. It turned out to be a bery nice saison/belgian flavor.

This time of year because of the heat, the chance of mold is pretty great.

Here is a thread of what I did. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wild-yeast-capture-success-419725/

Back