Cultured yeast from local brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
I just picked up a Nalgene bottle filled to the rim with cultured 1056 from my local brewery. Total noob question: how do I determine how much to pitch? Mr. Malty calculator recommends only the number of yeast cells, but how am I supposed to know how many cells are in a tablespoon (or whatever) of this condensed blob of yeast?

Take it as pitching yeast from slurry on MrMalty and minimize non-yeast % if it looks clean and healty (white not brown) and density??? have a guess, somewhere near 50% as maxed is like white labs density so unless it has been centrifuged it won't be that dense. Don't stress too much over it, take a educated guess and aerate well and all will be fine.

Clem

It's about the consistency of guacamole....thick and white. According to Daniel's "Designing great beers", it looks like I should use about 5 - 6 ozs for a 5 gallon batch. Should be easy to pull that amount from the Nalgene, since the graduated volumes are marked on the bottle. Going for an American Pale (ala Sierra Nevada) so I'm excited to use this; plus, it'll save me $6.99.

Take it as pitching yeast from slurry on MrMalty and minimize non-yeast % if it looks clean and healty (white not brown) and density??? have a guess, somewhere near 50% as maxed is like white labs density so unless it has been centrifuged it won't be that dense. Don't stress too much over it, take a educated guess and aerate well and all will be fine.

Clem
I guarantee if he got a dump right out of a commercial conical, its much more dense than what you'd get in a vial. JZ's new yeast book gives some examples of how to estimate dilutions.

I guarantee if he got a dump right out of a commercial conical, its much more dense than what you'd get in a vial. JZ's new yeast book gives some examples of how to estimate dilutions.

Yeah, it was pulled right out of the conical. I don't have Jamil's yeast book. If anyone does, I'd appreciate some rough suggestions. Otherwise, I'll go with the 5oz guesstimate.

Wow, that thick, sounds like all you need is teaspoon full, I guess with all that weight of beer/other yeast sitting on it they get good and squashed.

Clem

Back