CS Bell Co Mill? What did I just aquire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyG

Reaction score
Well, it isn't in my possession yet, but I just purchased a mill of some sort made by the CS Bell Co. The price was way to good to pass up, even if it isn't useful with homebrewing...:D Does anyone have any thoughts on what exactly this thing is and if it will be useful in beer making? I already have a jsp malt mill, so if this will not work, it's not a big deal.
The data plate shows the model to be "oat crimper" and the serial number is NAS0572-9/84

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

The company is still in business. www.csbellco.com/ I would try contacting them with pictures and see if you can get any info, perhaps a user manual.

I didn't see any pictures on their site that looked like what you have but I bet they could help.

"Crimped Oatmeal Stout".

( feel free to use it......:D )

Sounds like I have the first brew chosen for the mill
Just need to get it home, de-rusted and cleaned first. You can see a couple grains of rice on the rollers for reference. I will probably try contacting the manufacturer about it after I have it cleaned up.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407450047.307312.jpg

copied from the link above.

A roller mill for cracking or crimping oats or the like is constructed with a cam adjustment which will positively maintain the rollers at an adjustably selected minimum spacing and which can be readily adjusted to establish a wider spacing for handling coarser materials or to clear obstructions from the rollers.

Sounds to me like you have yourself one helluva adjustable two roller barley crushing machine that can crush by the pound or ton, depending on your needs! OMG how big are those rollers? Is that an adjustment knob on the right? The bearings / bushings might need a little polish and lube, but they appear beefy enough to run for a decade regardless...nice score I want one!

It's a two roller mill with both rollers driven in such a way (through a common gear) that spacing can be adjusted. These are commonly used by farmers to grind grain for feed and should be quite suitable for brewing.

Back