Crystal malt and flaked oats cider graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmylie

Reaction score
So how does this sound? Can you use flaked oats if you mash with crystal malt? I want to be sure there will be proper enzymes available to convert the sugars of the oats. I was looking at Brandon's graff that uses fortified wheat and wondered if oats could be used instead. Is this a stretch for cider?

With Graff, you're not really mashing. You're just steeping the crystal for some color and a little body, and the flaked is for body and head retention.

If you wanted to mash though, you would need to add some 2 row. Neither crystal or oats have enough enzymes to do much of anything. Although, like AZ_IPA said, Graff calls for steeping grains, not a mash.

So if I added some two row malt this really changes into an apple flavored beer. What I'm shooting for is an oatmeal cinnamon cider with some caramel like flavors from the crystal malt. I guess I don't really need to have a complete mash of the oats since the cider itself is so fermentable. Any thoughts on a yeast strain to pair with this?

Back