Cryo Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lhbs carries a few varieties. I know they double the alpha acids which means you need half as much. The problem is the price point is almost exactly the same, so... Why?

My lhbs carries a few varieties. I know they double the alpha acids which means you need half as much. The problem is the price point is almost exactly the same, so... Why?

My point being there are 5 varieties that r available almost every where whether it be lhbs or online...but the site I posted has varieties I've yet to come across in any shop or online other than the listed site...if u haven't used cryo yet than u won't Understand why i ask...IMO...they make a huge difference and was wondering if they r out there yet for us home brewers to use other than buying a whole pound ...yes they are considered double the amount compared to pellets...but the flavor and aroma for me has always been much more intense and u get it with half the material meaning more consumable product...and lets face it...who doesnt like more flavor and more beer?

My point being there are 5 varieties that r available almost every where whether it be lhbs or online...but the site I posted has varieties I've yet to come across in any shop or online other than the listed site...if u haven't used cryo yet than u won't Understand why i ask...IMO...they make a huge difference and was wondering if they r out there yet for us home brewers to use other than buying a whole pound ...yes they are considered double the amount compared to pellets...but the flavor and aroma for me has always been much more intense and u get it with half the material meaning more consumable product...and lets face it...who doesnt like more flavor and more beer?

I saw those guys last year were offering that stuff... I’d be rather skeptical of it personally. I’ve never seen any brewery use any cryo product other than what YCH produces. I would guarantee you that if Galaxy or Vic Secret was available in cryo form you would have seen a bunch of the hype breweries using it.

Cryo is very very similar to T-45 pellets. Not sure if those varieties are available in T-45 or not. They might be. I believe cryo is technically T-35 I think.

CryoHops are actually Type45 pellets but from aroma hops instead of bittering hops. To go below 45 without losing active components you need to move to actual extracts, either alpha or oils.

Then I stand corrected, sir. :(
They must have really fine-tuned their process to the limit. It really gets hard to separate lupilin from inert matter without losses beyond a certain point. If you think that high-alpha varieties have alpha-acid contents >20% and that that literally means 20% of the weight is resins.
But this are aroma varieties so it's not as bad, but still kudos to Hopsteiner...

Back