Crushing grain without a mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSAYank

Reaction score
So. A little back story: My wonderful wife supports my hobby, though she is not a big beer drinker. She bought me quite a few nice toys ( different topic ), as well as a couple of recipe kits from my Amazon wishlist.

Issue: I, unknowingly, selected a jalapeño cream ale recipe ( 05 gal )that was partial mash ( oops ), and she just ordered it from my wishlist. My problem is that I have only done extract. I understand the process of partial mash, the kit came with a bagfor the grain, as well as the other ingredients, but I don't have a grain mill. How could I go about crushing these grains effectively and easily with common household items without obliterating them?

Do you have a homebrew store nearby? They might let you use their mill if you ask or if you buy some other grains. I did this this first couple of times before I took the plunge on a mill. Otherwise get out the rolling pin and some freezer bags. Some have tried beating on the grains with a hammer or mallet (don't do this on the kitchen counter!). Coffee mill works in a pinch but be careful you do not grind too fine and make sure all of the coffee grounds are gone.

where do you live? im sure theres a homebrew club that has members willing to lend you a hand.

I live in Ocean County, NJ. ( unfortunately ) There's a homebrew shop about 45 minutes away and I didn't get this particular kit from them. The rolling pin idea was my first thought, I'll probably be winging it for this one. RDWHAHB right? Lol

You can put a 1/2 cup or a little more in a blender and pulse it, just stop when most of the grain has been chopped before you turn it all to dust, key is leaving as few whole kernels as possible without making all flour.

I'm just a bit north of the manasquan river of that helps you.

Rolling pin to slow for me, not enough patience.

I've used a rolling pin many times and it worked fine. place the grain in ziplock freezer bags and roll away. Get a beer it's gunna take a little time lol

My first attempt at an ESB had me baking my own grain and then crushing it on a cookie sheet with a 3 qt pot. Didn't take very long and seemed to work fine.

You can do it.

stop hammer time.jpg

Since you've got a bag to put in in I would go the blender route. If you over do it there should not be a problem.

Wife needs to get you a Corona style grain mill.

All the Best,
D. White

I'm curious - most kits come with the grains already crushed from my local brew stores. If this is a partial mash kit, are you sure the grains aren't already crushed?

Go big or go home.... Back to reality.. Since you have a bag the careful grinding in a blender should work.

image.jpeg

Why the fine crush hate? He has a bag... should not be an issue whatsoever.

I turn my grain into powder, damn near.

260801d1425480919-hoppy-wheat-overnight-mash-biab-downsized_0219051216.jpg

The rolling pin will get you through this one.

If you plan to continue with partial mash or move up to all grain you may want to consider a Corona mill.
Amazon. $20.
Well worth it.

When are you planning on brewing this? I am a member of the ocean county home brew club we are currently meeting the second Tuesday of each month at backward flag brewery in forked river. If you want to come to our next meeting I can have someone bring a mill to crush your grain and you can meet some other home brewers in ocean and Monmouth county. I am in Jackson if you are close by I may be able to help you out if you need them crushed earlier.

Back