Crunchy/Papery... but no smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamSlayer

Reaction score
I have a first year hops plant, cascade. The cones look great, but for some reason they have almost no smell to them. I am getting that crunchy paper feel to them that many people state is the key. Am I just a bit early? Or is this a problem?

Split one of the average size cones down the middle and take a look inside.
Lupulin accumulates in the bracts when the cones are more mature than what is shown in the pic, ime. Those are still quite young looking.

As for the whole papery/crunchy thing, it's so hard to judge those characters to determine an "end point" that I don't even bother thinking about them. I just let my hops keep on keeping on until there's a bit of browning starting to show on the petal tips then haul 'em in...

Cheers!

My cascade have a muted smell to them right up until harvest. My Zeus and Chinook are super fragrant and leave a dank smell just by touching a cone. Once they're ready, my whole yard smells like Zeus and Chinook. I'll wear gloves this year so I don't smell like a hop farm at work this year after harvest!

Back