Crowd Pleasing American Dark Ale Help? (Black IPA/Cascadian Dark)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loetz

Reaction score
I'm putting together a recipe for an American black ale which I would like to enter into a Polish homebrewing competition. I don't want it to be too extreme since this is a brand new style for them this year.
http://en.festiwal-birofilia.pl/the-categories-of-the-home-brew-competition-2014.html

I want it to be dry and crisp with light roast and light bitterness by American standards.

I've been looking around and it seems like this is a safe malt profile:

90% Pale Malt
5% Carafa III Special
5% Crystal 60

I want it to be fairly dry, so I'm tempted to cut back on the crystal 60. I'm not too keen on using sugar in the brew, but I suppose I'm open to it. I'll mash at 147F.

For hops I'm considering going with an all simcoe brew. That's how Brew Dog does theirs, and I imagine that Libertine Ale is one of the only American Dark Ales that these judges have tried. But there's a good chance they've tried Back in Black by 21st A. I'm tempted to change up the hop profile and get some Amarillo in there, but I've never done an all Simcoe beer and this might be an excuse to do it.

For a 12gal batch:
60 min - 1oz Simcoe 13%AA (20 IBU)
30 min - 1.2oz Simcoe 13%AA (17.4 IBU)
15 min - 2.4oz Simcoe 13%AA (22.5 IBU)
05 min - 1.2oz Simcoe 13%AA (4.5 IBU)

Dry Hop 4.75oz Simcoe for 5 days

I'd also like to dry hop it, but I'm not sure how much to add.

Beersmith gives me these numbers:
OG 1.068
IBU 65
SRM 31
ABV 7.2%

If you have some time, please give me some input on that hop schedule and the crystal 60. Any thoughts on using Marris Otter for the base malt? US-05, 04, or notty?

Thanks!
:mug:

I edited the hop schedule. The first one I posted was accidentally the hop schedule for a 5gal batch. I also moved some hops from 60 to 15 and added the dry hops.

If you have time, tell me what you think! :)

Back