Croisen after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
I brewed an ipa, american ale 2 wyeast. After 2 weeks in primary I harvested the bottom yeast and after a night in the fridge it appears to have a layer of croisen on top, see pic.

Og 1052 ff 1015

A concern was i firgot to change my temp controller from cool to heat so the first day of fermentation i got down to arournd 56 or so and slowly climbed, airlick was active after.

image-282673803.jpg

I just decided to shake it up and after ten minutes I get the same thing, is this croisen? Should i decant it off then risne the yeast as i usually do?

My ipa is slightly sweet but has a somewhat dry finish. im pretty sure it was done. I didnt test gravity twice to make sure it was done. There was no yeast at the top when transfering.

Could this be the yeast that flocked when I had that cold shock? Maybe it wasnt done? Tastes ok, ill keep checking it.

The only way to know if it's done I'd to check the gravity. There are lots of things that can cause the beer to foam.

Also, I wasn't sure at first what you meant by croisen so I googled it. This is what came up from urban dictionary:

"The act of drinking alcohol and smoking funk marijuana while enjoying a sunny day at the beach, pool, lake or any other body of water, usually while rocking some bitching toons with a even ratio of males to females."

Pretty funny, however, I then decided you meant krausen.

Yes Krausen, although I would probably worry less if that's what my yeast was doing. Im thinking if decanting off the foam, rinsing and gearing up for another batch with this yeast. Its still in top of the mason jar btw.

Back