Crock Pot Herms Heat Exchanger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
For the hell of it I put tap water in my Crock Pot on high, and in about 25 minutes the water was hovering around 160 degrees. I turned it to medium and about 45 minutes later I was still at 157. Is this the dumbest idea ever?

Nope. Excellent idea. If you wanna do a mini batch, it might work awesome. I would turn it off once you reach 10 degrees of your target, then cover. The question is, what size batch could you make?

Probably won't have the power to keep up with the heat draw down when you run the HERMS. Perhaps if it was a humongous crock pot or a very small batch size you could get it to work, but with only 110 v input I just don't see it generating enough heat fast enough. I did experiment with mashing directly in a crock pot. I wanted to see if I could make some starter wort quickly. It worked, but I deemed it not worth the hassle in the end. A small cooler would have probably been a better way to go. I've abandoned that approach and now I'm planning to just make a larger batch of wort and can it.

It holds a gallon and a half of water. I've seen some people on here with a small heat exchanger around two gallon. I was just suprised it stayed in the 160 range. I might try recirculating through it just for fun.

Back