Critique my plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
For the last month or so I have been preparing to enter into the all grain arena. I have a 15 gallon hot liquor tank,15 gallon brew kettle and a 17.5 gallon cooler almost finished and ready to brew. The hlt and brew kettle both fired with individual Blichmann burners. I think I can heat strike water,start my mashing. Sparge my mash into my brew kettle all without lifting any heavy pots of hot liquid. My plan is to put a sight glass and brewmometer on my hot liquor tank so I can heat to sparge or strike temp and transfer to lauter tun. Giving me fairly precise control of volume and temperature. I haven't installed a brewmometer I'am having a tough time deciding where to place it I would like to be able to do either 5 or 10 gallon batches. Would it matter where a brewmometer is in an hlt. What flaws might there be in my intended plan for brewing or any recommendations. Any opinions will be seriously considered. Critique away and thanks in advance

I have a 3-tier shelving unit that makes what you're talking about really simple. I just got a 20G Blich BK / burner w/ extensions for Christmas, hope to do an article, I love how this system works at minimal cost (for the shelves, at least).

3 tier.jpg

You will want to place your brewmometer below the 5 gallon mark on HLT or lower if possible. Also, I would put a sight glass on boil kettle. It really helps to know when you have hit your preboil measurement. Otherwise, your SGs and wort yields will be all over the place. Hope this helps.

Nice setup that is similar to what I have in the works. I have a bunch of shelving that I got for free that will work well configured roughly the same way yours is. How well does the shelving do supporting the weight of 15 gallons of liquid

You will want to place your brewmometer below the 5 gallon mark on HLT or lower if possible. Also, I would put a sight glass on boil kettle. It really helps to know when you have hit your preboil measurement. Otherwise, your SGs and wort yields will be all over the place. Hope this helps.

Good idea I will probably do just that

Nice setup that is similar to what I have in the works. I have a bunch of shelving that I got for free that will work well configured roughly the same way yours is. How well does the shelving do supporting the weight of 15 gallons of liquid

I got mine from Seville Classics, it's super sturdy, no concerns with strength whatsoever.

Back