Critique my IPA please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeeBrewGuy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to brew a single hop ipa this weekend. Please let me know what you think of my recipe. I am looking for a good, hoppy, pungent ipa with a solid malt backbone and a firm bitterness. I really do not want to make a hop juice. Would like it dry but with a good malt backbone.

I do have other specialty grains in stock so I can use some others. (honey malt, vienna, caramel 60, 80 etc).

Zeus's Thunderbolt IPA
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.012
IBU's:71
Mash: 151-152

11# Rahr 2 Row
1.5# Munich Dark
.50# Wheat
.50# Caramel 20L

.50oz Zeus - 60min
.50oz Zeus - 30min
.75oz Zeus - 20min
1.0oz Zeus - 10min
1.0oz Zeus - 5min
1.0oz Zeus - 1min

2.0oz Dry hop

Wyeast PC 1469 West Yorkshire - (Got about 78-79% attenuation on last brew)

From Wyeast:
This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Attenuation 67-71%
Alc. Tolerance 9%
Flocculation high
Temperature Range 64-72°F (18-22°C)

What would you change?

Looks good except for Dark Munich. Not saying it is bad, but I normally just use Munich. Not sure how much darker yours will be.

What the heck? Looks good than. I have just never used it. Might have to give it a try.

Yeah, looks like the dark is 15.5 and the light is 8.3L according to my NB catalog.

I just want to make sure it has that nice malt backbone. There is one thing I can't stand and that is a hop juice (I am looking at you Hop Whallop). Hopefully the yeast i have chosen and the specialty grains help me out there.

Back