Critique my bitters/esb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraphtBier

Reaction score
Im getting ready to brew up a batch of bitters and I wanted to know what you guys thought. I know the hops aren't quite traditional but they are what I have on hand at the moment. Here it is:

8.5lbs Maris Otter
1lb 60L Crystal
1lb Flaked Wheat
0.5lb Victory Malt

0.5 oz Colombus 14.4%aa (FWH)
0.5 oz Colombus 14.4%aa 20 minutes
0.5 oz Mt. Hood 5.5%aa 5 minutes
0.5 oz Mt. Hood 5.5%aa 0 minutes
1.0 oz Mt. Hood 5.5%aa dry hop 7 days

Gonna use Safale 04 as the yeast this time.

looks like it will work. you might be on the smoother side of bitter with the FWH instead of a 60 minute addition.

bump.

Will the wheat effect the way I shoud mash?

Not really. I do a similar recipe mashing at 152 for 60 minutes. The 1lb of crystal may be a bit much though at that temperature. You may want to consider cutting back to 1/2 lb.
If you want to keep your grain bill as is you could lower the mash temp to 150 or add 1lb of brown sugar to dry it out a bit.

how bout table sugar? thas all I have on hand and I do want a fairly dry beer!

edit: I do have light brown sugar on hand. Gonna use a pound of that added to the boil at ten minutes. thanks!

how bout table sugar? thas all I have on hand and I do want a fairly dry beer!

edit: I do have light brown sugar on hand. Gonna use a pound of that added to the boil at ten minutes. thanks!

Table sugar works to dry it out but I like to use brown (light, dark, whatever I have on hand) for the touch of molasses it contains. I think it gives a British style bitter a small layer of added complexity.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :mug:

i hate to interject and muddy up the waters, but i'm going to do it anyway :)

on my house esb recipe, i usually mash around 152. it comes out with a solid malt backbone that needs a good dose of hops to balance. it starts around 1.052 and finishes around 1.013.

now, if you're going to add 1lb of sugar, that's going to leave you with a thinner beer, especially if you are still mashing at 152. i'd be tempted to go up to 154-156 to preserve some unfermentable sugar and retain some malt profile.

because you are using maris otter, i agree with judge that going back to 1/2 or 3/4 lb of crystal 60 would be fine.

Well, next go round I will have to make some adjustments. I mashed at ~152 for 60 minutes. I expect the brew to feel a bit thin with the sugar addition but hey live and learn. I'm chalking this one up to inexperience in brewing this style of beer and my overconsumption of homebrew that day. Frankenbier is (most of the time) still drinkable so wtf ever!:rockin: Will report back in a few days when i rack and take a gravity/taste reading.

Latest posts

Back