crisp brown malt and special roast the same stuff? recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
First off this recipe is already crushed and ready to brew so if it sucks then im kinda already committed. I just want some feed back on the malt bill because i was unaware of the idea the brown malt and special roast are supposed to be similar.

4 lb pale 2 row
4 lb MO
1.5 lb crisp brown
1 lb dark crystal (simpsons)
1 lb special roast (briess)

.75 oz EKG 60 min at 7.1 aa
1 oz fuggles 4.5 30 min
.75 EKG 10 min 7.1aa

wyeast 1968 ESB

according to beersmith

1.052 at 70% (i am usually about 75%)

IBU 30.6
color 19.5 SRM
Est abv 5.0

I am trying to develop my house brown ale. I made a version recently which had far too much chocolate taste so I eliminated chocolate malt from my recipe. I read many awesome stories of the deliciousness of brown malt and wanted it to be prevalent in the brew. I am wanting a malty but balanced ale that can be my own kinda flavor. Not super nutty, more caramel in taste but not raisin as a strong note. Need thoughts. As I said this beer is up for brewing this weekend and i am open to thoughts of all varieties.

Brown and special roast are not the same.

Brown malt is a great malt for making things like brown porters. It is roasty as well as toasty.

Special roast is more of a biscuit malt. It's dry and a bit sour-ish tasting.

A pound of it is a lot, in my opinion.

I use brown malt in my brown porter, in the amount of 8-10%.

They are similar, in that they have dry flavors, but special roast is tangy while the brown malt is more of a roasty/toasty flavor.

so you think there is a chance my recipe will turn out good. I can adjust hops a bit if I need more balance

I agree that I think it will taste good in the end. I can't see enough darkness for my mind to gravitate to porter. Everything seems in order to create a well balanced english northern-style brown ale with a POM twist. I think that amount of brown malt will create a dryness on the tongue but supply the dark toasty/roasty character that missing from some chocolate. The special roast is the wildcard in my mind but it __should__ work in this particular beer. The pound of crystal might have the effect of balancing the drying-tart effect from the brown and special roast.

I would not hesitate to brew (or drink) this :D

st pug thanks for your insightful comments.

I am really trying to learn how to think that way about my recipes. I am willing to make mistakes and drink them.
Yooper freaked me out telling me i was about to brew a totally different style.

What I read about special roast is its good for brown ales. I thought that brown malt was a no brainer for brown ale.

I am also learning that beersmith gets most things right but apparently not color. Brews always end up darker.

Well, it depends what kind I brown. I'm currently working through a keg of brown I made with Maris otter, crystal 65, victory, special roast, midnight wheat, and special b and it is delicious. Dare I say amazing.

You see special roast and victory/biscuit malt in a lot of nut brown recipes due to their nutty/biscuity flavor. They add a certain amount of complexity to an otherwise straightforward style.

st pug thanks for your insightful comments.

I am really trying to learn how to think that way about my recipes. I am willing to make mistakes and drink them.
Yooper freaked me out telling me i was about to brew a totally different style.

What I read about special roast is its good for brown ales. I thought that brown malt was a no brainer for brown ale.

I am also learning that beersmith gets most things right but apparently not color. Brews always end up darker.

Brown malt is THE definitive malt for brown porter. However, you have a fairly small quantity. The thing is Southern English browns ( the beer you describe) are not very roasty beers. They may have some chocolate/coffee notes, but not roasty like brown porter. Again, since you have a small amount, it may not be that roasty but that's the first thing I thought of.

I am just going to keep tweaking. i really want to find that "for me" wow factor with a complexity, yet drinkability. Something that I want always on tap. It may take several batches for me to get there. Thanks for the comments. Thats what i need is insight into flavors.

so far this beer is coming along nicely.
Its been in primary for 4 days only and gravity reading today was 1.020 which is about 63% according to my calculations.
I am hoping for a bit more out of the yeast. I would be really happy with a 1.016 FG.

Any thoughts on when I should think about helping out the yeast. The 1968 yeast floccs like a demon and I need all the points I can from it. I think after another week ill add a degree to the temp and give the primary a swirl. Right now its at 65 degrees holding steady. Anyone think raising to 67ish and rousing the yeast will get me a couple points if I am still at 1.020 after 11 days primary?

so far this beer is coming along nicely.
Its been in primary for 4 days only and gravity reading today was 1.020 which is about 63% according to my calculations.
I am hoping for a bit more out of the yeast. I would be really happy with a 1.016 FG.

Any thoughts on when I should think about helping out the yeast. The 1968 yeast floccs like a demon and I need all the points I can from it. I think after another week ill add a degree to the temp and give the primary a swirl. Right now its at 65 degrees holding steady. Anyone think raising to 67ish and rousing the yeast will get me a couple points if I am still at 1.020 after 11 days primary?

Have you tried a British 1 yeast for a brown? Your grain bill looks good.
And raising the fermentation a few degrees is also a good way to get a complete finish.

My Brown Porter is 36% Brown malt. It is dry and biscuit like with a smooth roast. It isn't a dark beer. Many Brown ales are darker. Brown malt gives a flavor that just can't be matched any other way.

Back