Crisis averted... Hopefully

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
So I'm fermenting a tropical pale ale with wyeast 1318. It's been going now for about 48 hours. I keep my fermenter in a mostly out of the way corner in my kitchen, but close enough that I can keep an eye on it. Tonight I sit down at the kitchen table to eat dinner and I hear this weird noise from the direction of my fermenter. I look over and see my air lock slam full of krausen, almost to the brim. Finish dinner real quick, pull the air lock, sanitize everything, and swap it out for a make shift blow off tube.

Been brewing now for a little over 4 years and this is my first time needing a blow off tube. Hopefully I got everything set up right. Man, 1318 is a breast!

I'm amazed you haven't needed a blowoff tube in 4 years!!! I needed one after about 6 months lol.

As long as you cleaned and sanitized everything, you should be fine.

Lucky you caught it in time! The one time that happened to me I came home to an airlock about 20ft away from the carboy and hops all over the carpet. Happened twice on the same batch actually. FYI, hops do not come out of carpet easily, if at all lol. I think this was on my batch #4.

Good luck

I'm amazed you haven't needed a blowoff tube in 4 years!!! I needed one after about 6 months lol.

As long as you cleaned and sanitized everything, you should be fine.

Lucky you caught it in time! The one time that happened to me I came home to an airlock about 20ft away from the carboy and hops all over the carpet. Happened twice on the same batch actually. FYI, hops do not come out of carpet easily, if at all lol. I think this was on my batch #4.

Good luck
Yeah, I was very lucky. The whole time I was setting up the blow off, I had visions of wort dripping off the ceiling running through my head. Man my wife would have been pissed if that had happened! Lol!

Back