Creating own SCOBY from brewers yeast and probiotics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalon

Reaction score
Hello. I want to grow own brewers yeast and came with idea to do it by producing kombucha. Brewers yeast is rich in complete protein, vitamin B, choline, minerals and anti aging compound NAD+ along with it's precursors such as nicotinamide riboside, niacin. Moreover I want to enhance it by adding beneficial bacteria that can produce additional nutrients such as B12.
I want to use Lactoseven probiotic tablets which contain following bacteria and compounds:

living lactic acid bacteria 1-2×109 cfu*
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus reuteri
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Bifidobacterium longum
Streptococcus thermophilus
inulin 300-600 mg
vitamin D3 2-4 µg

Would these bacteria and brewers yeast survive together in kombucha environment or if not what can be done to do so?

"Brewer's yeast" is not typically the primary yeast in kombucha.

However, you can absolutely use sugary tea to grow Saccharomyces if you want. Consider adding yeast nutrient.

I sincerely doubt all the bacteria would survive and propagate well together. The L. plantarum would do well (especially if you have high alkalinity water), the others ... I couldn't say off the top of my head.

It will not form a traditional SCOBY pellicle.

Cheers

Back