Created vacuum after taking hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
So I took my airlock off to take a hydrometer reading, and used the turkey baster method to take my sample which worked very well. After I sanitized the airlock and stopper, I placed it back onto the lid and filled it with water with a little star san in it. I accidentally put too much weight on the lid when I stumbled while getting up creating a vacuum and it sucked some of the water/sanitizer in ( I have an injured back, I wasn't even drinking!). Should I worry about this?

you should be fine, star san is safe to consume and doesn't contribute to flavor (at least in the quantities you're talking about)

Thanks for the quick reply rev, I didn't think I should, but being new I'm worried! I did try it out, it's a Nut Brown Ale, after a week so far so good!

I did fill it after placing it in the lid, but I kinda caught myself on the lid which caused the vacuum. Next time I would squat, I will be on my knees!

Back