Cream of three Infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBrewGood

Reaction score
Well it happened to me. My first, second and maybe my third infection. The first was a Mr Beer can of pre-hopped extract a coworker gave me to brew for him. He heard I brewed and seemed interested. His wife got word of his interest and bought him a Mr Beer kit with 2 beers. He "brewed" one and said it was garbage. Of course I was like, give it to me and I will show you what proper brewing can do. I "brewed" it which really just dumping a can into water and pitching yeast. On that note, the yeast he gave me looked funny. Almost, bad? never used a Mr Beer kit but no fermentation after a day so I dumped a US-05 on it and it kicked right up. But I though maybe proper fermentation temps would yield a drinkable beer. I secretly liked being able to cool the wort in the sink again. Admittedly I was not all that worried about covering the cooling wort but I do not think that is what did me in. I fermented for 2 weeks and bottled. I was supposed to give him most of the bottles so I kept 3 to try and boxed the rest until I would see him again outside of work. I tried the un-carbed beer and thought wow this Mr Beer IS crapy. I put two in a cabinet where I keep a few bottles, I mostly keg. A few days after I bottled I thought to label the bottle before I lost track of what's what. That's when I noticed the mountain growing on the surface of the beer inside the bottle. I though OH NOOOOO!!!!!!. I popped the top an sniffed EEEWWWWW!!!!! nasty almost vinagar'y smell. Hard to describe. But defiantly CRAPOLA taste? gross. so I start to think...how did this happen? Was it the yeast?...

Now I had to tell him I f'ed it up and he laughed of course. So.....A few days later I brewed the infamous cream of three crops. I also racked an American amber from primary to secondary. Then pitched the CO3X onto about a cup of the Amber's yeast slurry. .... all is good. 10 days later I am planning to bottle the amber.... go to move the carboy to the counter to settle so that I can rack into bucket. . . . . . then I see it, a film on top with bubbles that don't look so good.........pull a sample and yuck....same crappy taste. Down the drain it goes.

So I start to think what did I use on both beers? the only thing was the auto-siphon. I go look at it and low and behold the was some gunk around the internal part. LAZYNESS killed 7+ gallons, time and effort. The CO3X should be good because I did not use the auot-siphon on it. . . . then it hits me.. THE SLURRY!!!! I rush to the CO3X and don't see anything out of the ordinary , give it a taste and not tasting great. But I am hoping the amber was still in my taste buds. I decided to let it sit.

Now I bleaching the crap out of everything. The auto-siphon is in the garbage.
I instantly remembered the Almost made me cry thread and remember thinking while reading it how lucky I have been, all the while the stuff was growing the beer right next to me.

I had become lazy and did not clean as well as I should. Now I am second guessing everything. Do I get another auto-siphon? I was ok for 2 years. Was it me? or the device? will the better bottles be ok?

ugggg........ clean your chit people.

I started to panic yesterday - I think I've become lazy too, and plan to improve my discipline and sanitizing.

First off I added some oak soaked bourbon to 2.5 gallons of Porter. When I took the top off the fermenter, there seemed to be a pellicle on the surface. I had accidentally used a fermenter I reserved for Sours, so it could end up being an interesting beer. The fermenter has a huge 'S' on the side that couldn't be missed - but I ignored it.

Then I got to bottling an English Pale Ale. It was in a glass carboy, and there were big bubbles (Typical Brett) all over the surface. After the Porter, and now this, I was starting to wonder what I had done, and what I needed to do. I went through my routines in my head, and decided I had been getting lazy, and decided to improve going forward.

The EPA tasted fine .... a couple of hours later, I remembered that I had used Brett-C as the primary yeast, so I shouldn't be surprised at the pellicle. But it had made me think, and I plan to pay more attention in the future to sanitation.

I started to panic yesterday - I think I've become lazy too, and plan to improve my discipline and sanitizing.

First off I added some oak soaked bourbon to 2.5 gallons of Porter. When I took the top off the fermenter, there seemed to be a pellicle on the surface. I had accidentally used a fermenter I reserved for Sours, so it could end up being an interesting beer. The fermenter has a huge 'S' on the side that couldn't be missed - but I ignored it.

Then I got to bottling an English Pale Ale. It was in a glass carboy, and there were big bubbles (Typical Brett) all over the surface. After the Porter, and now this, I was starting to wonder what I had done, and what I needed to do. I went through my routines in my head, and decided I had been getting lazy, and decided to improve going forward.

The EPA tasted fine .... a couple of hours later, I remembered that I had used Brett-C as the primary yeast, so I shouldn't be surprised at the pellicle. But it had made me think, and I plan to pay more attention in the future to sanitation.

Glad the EPA was ok. I tasted the Cream yesterday and it tasted ok so I think it will be fine. Fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back