Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got this one marked to do as my first real brew , im as new as they come and have only done 2 of the 1 gal kits thus far.
Ive been reading this post over and over for the past few days trying to soak it all in , will probably try to start with a 5 gal BIAB due to still getting mash tun parts together..
really wish i had a detailed write up on how to do a 5 gal bag version of this recipe , lol ,,
Theres one thing im wondering on the rice tho,, when you say Minute rice are you talking about the kind you'd buy at the grocery store ?

Yes, Minute Rice from the grocery store. You can also just use plain white rice but you'll have to cook that first. Overcook it in excess water, and that water counts towards your mash-in volume. I think I used a gallon of water for a pound of rice. (you don't have to do any of that with Minute Rice)

Edit: I just checked my notes. I simmered 1.5 pounds of broken jasmine rice from the Asian market (they sell it that way) in a gallon of water for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Yes, Minute Rice from the grocery store. You can also just use plain white rice but you'll have to cook that first. Overcook it in excess water, and that water counts towards your mash-in volume. I think I used a gallon of water for a pound of rice. (you don't have to do any of that with Minute Rice)
I normally rinse my rice for regular prep before eating, I'd assume this should be skipped when using for beer because that's extra starch to convert once in the mash, correct?

I normally rinse my rice for regular prep before eating, I'd assume this should be skipped when using for beer because that's extra starch to convert once in the mash, correct?

It's extra starch, but I suspect it's an insignificant amount. I didn't wash mine and it turned out alright ;)

I read through the majority of this just because I found it so interesting. I'm going to brew it (5 gallons) and I was wondering what everyones consensus was on the best recipe. Is this original still the best. (Just cutting the 10gallon version in half) I also didn't see any water profile. I'm guessing just a basic cream ale water profile?

Last edited:
4 weeks after bottling and this beer is awesome. I'll take this over any store bought BMC ( except maybe Coors banquet....it's just so creamy).

Brewed my 2nd batch of cream of 3 crops on Saturday, it has a nice krausen and is currently sat at 1.026 at 69 degrees. From 1.043.
Had a problem chilling the wort and pitched White labs cream ale yeast at around 79 degrees at 8.30 pm saturday evening, wrapped fermentor in a towel and next morning was down to 72.Krausen had formed which took around 8 hours

This is the first time i have brewed in over a year, due to moving house, the good thing is my basement sits at around 67 degrees and fermentor even with active fermentation is at 69.

Hopefully i didnt stress those yeasties out to much

I’ve been looking at this thread for weeks and I’m very excited to be brewing a 2.5g batch of this tomorrow. Using a new package of wlp001 and planning to dump an ipa over that cake in a few weeks.

I'll be brewing this at a club event on Sunday. I'm hoping to show people that you can still make a good beer that doesn't have a crap load of hops and is very complicated to make. They have already tasted this beer a couple of times.

This time will be in a brand new BIAB system that I've not done anything but boil water. Hopefully it turns out!

I brewed up this recipe a couple weeks ago. I got distracted and oversparged, ended up way over my boil volume. Boiled it down to the intended gravity. Ended up boiling a little over 2 hours. The wort into fermenter was really dark. I’m planning to keg this weekend. I’m curious to see how my dark cream ale turns out.

I think that's what happened with mine too. 10 gallon batch and barely hit a boil, it was hot for a long time. It ended up pretty dark but tasted right.

I brewed up this recipe a couple weeks ago. I got distracted and oversparged, ended up way over my boil volume. Boiled it down to the intended gravity. Ended up boiling a little over 2 hours. The wort into fermenter was really dark. I’m planning to keg this weekend. I’m curious to see how my dark cream ale turns out.
Just kegged this and the color looks as it should. I was deceived by the really dark wort I ended up with after the long boil, but it lightened up in the fermenter. The hydrometer sample tasted good. Burst carbing, can’t wait to try it in a few days.

That works fine. This is a flexible grain bill. My second batch, I actually upped the rice a bit and lowered the corn. Just experimenting ya know...;)

I think the willamette is just fine. It might be a bit "mintier" than the crystal, but the quantities are so low, it should make little difference.

Any of the low alpha's would work (Hallertau, Tett, Mt Hood...)
awesome . I have all 3 of those hops growing, actually I have the Crystal growing too and its growing like Kudzu . I will be making this for sure. I've been looking for this "anyone will like this...daily drinking" type of beer.

Just kegged this and the color looks as it should. I was deceived by the really dark wort I ended up with after the long boil, but it lightened up in the fermenter. The hydrometer sample tasted good. Burst carbing, can’t wait to try it in a few days.

I'm glad to hear that, I have been making this beer, or my variant for years. This would have been the first screw up. hopefully mine does the same!

Just bottled this recipe this morning. Very clear, gorgeous color on this beer. I wish I had remembered to snap a picture! I only did 2.5G batch, and I cut back on the corn a bit. The sample still had a bit of a corn flavor to it, but not at all unpleasant. I had some timer mishaps on the boil, but I know I went over 60min, but it was probably closer to 75-80 minutes. 1.042 down to 1.006 FG. Can't wait to taste it carbed up, and throw a few into one of the sampler cases for my football draft next month! Judging from the sample, I may need to make this one a few times each year, especially if it goes over as well as I think it will.

Just taken a gravity sample Beer is at 1.007 so right around 4.7% abv.
I sparged with just warm warm from the faucet,as i dont have any way to get a separate pot going for sparge water right now, so happy happy happy
Color looks great and sample tastes good, Going to keg and add my vanilla tincture tomorrow then cold crash for a few around a week.

CBB46A9D-D11D-4FDF-A47D-2B9A7319F7FA.jpeg
Just kegged my cream of 3 crops. First time that I have done a closed transfer. It’s quite easy with the catalyst fermentation system.
Just put keg in largering refrigerator set to 35 degrees for a cold crash. Probably will leave in there around a week maybe longer.

Then into kegerator and carb up.

Sorry redarmy990, but that’s not a closed transfer. Unless you had C02 being fed into the top of the fermenter from a Co2 bottle and tubing that was out of view in your photo? Most will have a hose running from the gas/in side of the pre-purged keg to the top of the fermenter so that instead of ambient air chasing the beer into the keg it’s Co2. You just oxidized your beer as it flowed to your keg.

Mike, Not sure about this but how did i introduce oxygen into my beer, keg was purged with co2, fermenter is completely closed, beer flowed by pulling the prv on keg to start the flow. With what i read on here and various other places this can be called a closed transfer.

Am i right or did i miss something, The other times i have kegged i had a tube just sat in the keg, now that introduced oxygen.

Something had to replace the beer as it flowed into the keg? Otherwise it would of created a vacuum and sucked in the sides of the fermenter and stopped the flow. Im guessing ambient air. Will you taste it in your beer? Probably not if you drink it within a week or so? If its a hoppy beer it might effect taste sooner than that! Plenty of examples of actual close transfers in the equipment and kegging forums.

First bottle. Made a 2.5g batch, dividing out the original recipe. I did pull back on the corn slightly out of fear, but I think it’d been perfectly fine with it in there. Excellent recipe!

85EAB4FE-606D-4374-B6B9-259168A9B3E9.jpeg

It's been too long to recall/remember the flavor of a Genesee Cream Ale. Would one consider this recipe as a Genny Cream Ale? I know there is another recipe on HBT identified as a Genny Cream Ale, but what about this recipe?

If not, then is this recipe considered as a clone or close to a commercial beer?

5 gallons has been in a keg, well... probably now less than 5 gallons, for 2 weeks. I cold conditioned the brew for awhile in my beverage center to drop out all the solids and get rid of chill haze.

IMO, this has definitely improved with it's time in the keg. Nice and smooth.

So, now I have 3 cream ales where I can't decide which one I enjoy best and I have another 2 different ones to brew. Ah, life is hard :)

With the outside temp being so warm my usual fermentation closet is averaging 72 degrees. Has anyone made this using a Kveik yeast and if so how did it turn out?

I did mine with Oslo Kveik (the lager-clone Kveik) and it was literally my first brew ever. Added some nutrient since most kveiks seem to need them, pitched at 90f, fermented onna drugstore heating which kept the carboy around 90, shot down to final gravity (1.004) in 3 days, kegged and force carbed on the 4th. Was "drinkable and cold on the 5th day, started tasting great after sitting cold for 3-4 days. No off flavors and it tasted VERY lager like (my untrained pallete wouldn't have been able to distinguish, i don't think.)

I did mine with Oslo Kveik (the lager-clone Kveik) and it was literally my first brew ever. Added some nutrient since most kveiks seem to need them, pitched at 90f, fermented onna drugstore heating which kept the carboy around 90, shot down to final gravity (1.004) in 3 days, kegged and force carbed on the 4th. Was "drinkable and cold on the 5th day, started tasting great after sitting cold for 3-4 days. No off flavors and it tasted VERY lager like (my untrained pallete wouldn't have been able to distinguish, i don't think.)
Just did a Munich forward beer with oslo, gelatin fined in the keg. First photo was after initial carbonation, second one was tonight. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since it was brewed.
20190825_130555.jpg
20190829_165054.jpg

Planning a version of this to brew next weekend. Technically four crops rather than three!

OG - 1.040
FG - 1.009
ABV - ~4.1%
~14 IBU

Malts

(75.6%) 8 lbs 8 oz Rahr 2-Row
(17.8%) 2 lbs Flaked Maize
(4.4%) 8 oz Flaked Rice
(2.2%) 4 oz Torrified Wheat

Mash Schedule
131* (Dough-In)
153* (60 Min Rest, Stirred at 30 Min)
163* (20 Min Rest)
172* (10 Min Rest)

Hops
50 Min - 1 oz Cascade
15 Min - 0.5 oz Cascade

Yeast
US-05

I have lots of Viking pale ale malt on hand so I will follow close to your recipe with a slight change as you said you upped rice and lowered corn. 5 gallon batch:

6# Viking pale ale malt
2# flaked maize
1.5# minute rice

1 oz Tettnanger @60
.5 oz Willamette @ flame out (homegrown)

Either Us-05 or Imperial Flagship

Thoughts?

I have lots of Viking pale ale malt on hand so I will follow close to your recipe with a slight change as you said you upped rice and lowered corn. 5 gallon batch:

6# Viking pale ale malt
2# flaked maize
1.5# minute rice

1 oz Tettnanger @60
.5 oz Willamette @ flame out (homegrown)

Either Us-05 or Imperial Flagship

Thoughts?

I used Viking pale malt in mine and will be switching back to rahr 2 row for the next batch. Came out dark and I prefer rahr 2 row in my light beers.

My lhbs had ordered about 10# of flaked rice a while ago, but it came with some flaked barley in it by mistake (~10%). I bought it all for half price!

Gonna do a LOT of this recipe to finish the year!

I used Viking pale malt in mine and will be switching back to rahr 2 row for the next batch. Came out dark and I prefer rahr 2 row in my light beers.
Scrounged around and I have some Breiss two row, recipe is modified to use it up. 5.5 batch size.

4# two row
3# Viking pale
2# flaked maize
1.5# minute rice

1oz tettnang @60
1oz Willamette @ 5 (homegrown)

Too much pale or not enough maize?
My efficiency in biab is between 70-75% if I squeeze it a lot. Plus for hopping want to say it is made with some of home grown.

Ordered the ingredients from the lhbs and they just arrived only to realized I ordered a pound and a half short 2 row than I needed. Going back to the lhbs isn’t an option for me so I’m thinking of just going to the grocery store for an extra 1.5 lbs of minute rice. Also only have cluster hops to use.

Ordered the ingredients from the lhbs and they just arrived only to realized I ordered a pound and a half short 2 row than I needed. Going back to the lhbs isn’t an option for me so I’m thinking of just going to the grocery store for an extra 1.5 lbs of minute rice. Also only have cluster hops to use.

Cluster hops is fine. Subbing more rice for the malt worries me; how much rice, corn, and malt are you using? There might not be enough enzymes to convert it all. You'd be better off making a smaller batch (3 or 4 gallons) and keeping the ratios the same.

Cluster hops is fine. Subbing more rice for the malt worries me; how much rice, corn, and malt are you using? There might not be enough enzymes to convert it all. You'd be better off making a smaller batch (3 or 4 gallons) and keeping the ratios the same.

Ok thanks for the info.
I would be sitting at
4.9 lbs 2 row 55%
2.5 lbs corn 28%
1.5 lbs rice 17%

expected og 1.041

My other thought would be to just get some dme and toss it in

Last edited:
I'm brewing this in a few weeks and it'll be my first time using corn and flaked rice. My question is I have some noble hops in the freezer so could I use that for bittering and shoot for around 14 ibu's? Figure since this is indeed a bittering only addition it probably wouldn't matter.

Back