Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what was everyone's average fermentation times? after 4 days I'm still not seeing any action.
:confused::eek::(o_O
All of my beers have began within a day. I haven't done this recipe yet. What type of fermentation vessel are you using? I know if i put the wrong lid on one of my buckets there won't be any airlock activity. If using a bucket I'd at least take a peek if not taking a sample also to see if there is any gravity change.

what was everyone's average fermentation times? after 4 days I'm still not seeing any action.
:confused::eek::(o_O

I made a cream ale Sunday that I pitched 1L of wlp080 in at 6pm. By 6am there was activity and by the following 6pm I had a full krausen.

Just bottled this and why is it so light in color. Lighter than even a bud light. Tastes good but would prefer to know how to make darker without changing the recipe

Just bottled this and why is it so light in color. Lighter than even a bud light. Tastes good but would prefer to know how to make darker without changing the recipe
You could decog it. This has become a staple on my taps. I changed the corn and rice ratio a bit but everyone loves it

Minor change to the recipe: use Vienna malt instead of plain 2-row. Pale ale malt would probably work too.
I use pale malt in this recipe. I have not used Vienna yet but it would add a tiny amount of malt flavor. I have a version that I recently brewed that omitted the flaked corn. It is still quite good with no corny quality.

I really like this beer. It's in my house ale rotation and has been brewed in my house for 5-6 years now.

Has anyone tried adding any flavoring to it? Thinking of using something like a cranberry, or a Blood orange from Amoretti.

I never had any luck with flavoring. I did not try to add any to this beer. Now if you use real fruit, that's a whole another story.[emoji3]

So I got this mashing currently. Was thrown off by the color. Double checked my receipt and I was given 2-Row...not Pale Row. Is there a large difference ? Did I ruin this ? I’m still a noob; this is my 6th all grain batch...

So I got this mashing currently. Was thrown off by the color. Double checked my receipt and I was given 2-Row...not Pale Row. Is there a large difference ? FYI I still consider myself a noob :)

Nope, no difference that you'll be able to taste. The beer will be fine.

Just got some discounted adjuncts, specifically flaked rice with flaked barley mixed in it. The lhbs had ordered rice but got a bonus ingredient! He sold it for 40% of list price... 10# for $8.

It should be perfect for this recipe I would think.

Made this recipe from post#1 and really enjoyed it. I am a red/brown ale fan though and wanted to make a honey cream ale. I realize some people think honey malt is overpowering but I have never thought that. Here's what I am thinking

6lb - marris otter (nutty)
2lb - flaked corn
8oz - carared (notes of caramel, honey, biscuit)
8oz - honey malt (honey)

Same williamette/crystal hop scheduled with 1056 yeast. I don't see a place for the rice. Anyone who has had granville island's maple shack...that's the direction I would like to go. Opinions?

Last edited:
Made this recipe from post#1 and really enjoyed it. I am a red/brown ale fan though and wanted to make a honey cream ale. I realize some people think honey malt is overpowering but I have never thought that. Here's what I am thinking

6lb - marris otter (nutty)
2lb - flaked corn
8oz - carared (notes of caramel, honey, biscuit)
8oz - honey malt (honey)

Same williamette/crystal hop scheduled with 1056 yeast. I don't see a place for the rice. Anyone who has had granville island's maple shack...that's the direction I would like to go. Opinions?
That sounds perfect, actually. 8oz of honey malt isn't too much (I'm) for a grain bill of 9#'s. Rice will add fermentables but no color, flavor or body to speak of... It may resemble a session pale ale with the cara and honey malts.

I haven't actually tried Maple Shack so I can't comment on how it may compare.

Let us know how it turns out!

I made my version with Honey Malt and Honey at Flameout it is cooling now. It is a 3 gal batch with a Post Boil of 1.053. I should be pitching yeast soon. It is about 100 degrees
20190423_124915.jpg

Hi everyone, just signed up to say thanks for this recipe . My brew day went great, hit all OG of 1.052, and finished with a FG of 1.006, so its now cold crashing, and I will bottle it tomorrow. The fermentation was very very smelly I have to say, I hope this is not and indication that something went wrong. My previous batches didn't have that much smell to be honest. I will tell you how it goes and maybe take a photo after. Im calling it Crème de la Crème. Cheers

So this is it. It came clearer than I expected. Used whirfloc on boil, and cold crashed for 48 hours with gelatin prior to bottling. I came under my target carbonation, but that was my bad for using too little priming sugar. This also, I think, made it lose some head, cause it doesnt have a lot. Smells a little bit of corn, but doesnt taste a lot like corn. It has a very dry finish and is very easy to drink. You cant even tell it has almost 5% ABV!. All in all, this is my 5th batch and seems its the best one so far. I think the only thing to improve would be more head retention and maybe some hop flavor or aroma, but not too much. Cheers!
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-14 at 17.14.38.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-14 at 17.14.38.jpeg

View attachment 627280 View attachment 627281
I just Tried my Mini Keg that I force carbed. I really like how the little bit of Honey Malt and Honey at Flameout kicked it up a Notch. I call it my Kensington Kream Ale. Thanks Biermuncher for the Basics to expand on.
How well did the force carbing in that mini go?
I am wanting to order some 1 gal ones and do a mini kegerator for my Travel Trailer.
Thinking about building a Bliechman type carbonator.

How well did the force carbing in that mini go?
I am wanting to order some 1 gal ones and do a mini kegerator for my Travel Trailer.
Thinking about building a Bliechman type carbonator.
It worked out well, one of those little CO2 cartriges was more than enough to force carb and pour the contents. I also primed a 2 liter and a 5 liter with honey. I have about a week to go on them.

How long did it take? Details my man details. Please
Lmao, this was my first try with a new brew. I did 24 hours at 15psi at room temp shaking it every couple of hours. Then I lowered the pres to 10 psi and did 48 hours in the fridge. I probably will just do the fridge for 48 hours next. I am still experementing with these Mini Kegs. But I really like the versitility of using them for small batches. I have a Maple Honey Rye Ale that has about a week to go til I can try it. The other good thing is being able to Tap a fresh brew for an evening and not having to drink the same thing for 5 gallons.

Lmao, this was my first try with a new brew. I did 24 hours at 15psi at room temp shaking it every couple of hours. Then I lowered the pres to 10 psi and did 48 hours in the fridge. I probably will just do the fridge for 48 hours next. I am still experementing with these Mini Kegs. But I really like the versitility of using them for small batches. I have a Maple Honey Rye Ale that has about a week to go til I can try it. The other good thing is being able to Tap a fresh brew for an evening and not having to drink the same thing for 5 gallons.
Awesome, thanks for the info.
We do a lot of weekends camping / glamping and it is generally a minimum of 3 families that always run together, and we all brew so it would be nice for each of us to be able to bring a gallon each of a different type of brew and share. I am getting to make a DIY " Bliechman style carbonator" so should not need to force carb which will make things easier on my end, but would also be nice to be able draw a gallon of my 5 gal corneys as well. Plus they will fit perfect in a mini fridge, so I can make a "mini keg kegerator" to keeping the travel trailer.[emoji12]

Awesome, thanks for the info.
We do a lot of weekends camping / glamping and it is generally a minimum of 3 families that always run together, and we all brew so it would be nice for each of us to be able to bring a gallon each of a different type of brew and share. I am getting to make a DIY " Bliechman style carbonator" so should not need to force carb which will make things easier on my end, but would also be nice to be able draw a gallon of my 5 gal corneys as well. Plus they will fit perfect in a mini fridge, so I can make a "mini keg kegerator" to keeping the travel trailer.[emoji12]
Having a different Draft Beer every night would be a nice touch for a long weekend camping trip.

I just made this beer and I am unsure if I like it or not. I had a few people try it and they liked it however, they noted it did have a sort of sour taste to it. Does that sour taste mean there was some contamination after the boil? I'm not sure if I would agree that it has a sour taste. It's definitely drinkable.

I honestly don't remember the last time I had a cream ale. I was looking for something to make that everybody would enjoy and stumbled across this.

I just made this beer and I am unsure if I like it or not. I had a few people try it and they liked it however, they noted it did have a sort of sour taste to it. Does that sour taste mean there was some contamination after the boil? I'm not sure if I would agree that it has a sour taste. It's definitely drinkable.

I honestly don't remember the last time I had a cream ale. I was looking for something to make that everybody would enjoy and stumbled across this.
Update: just needed to give it a week in the fridge. Total game changer. No sour tatste, very light and crisp. Can drink these all day

Ive got this one marked to do as my first real brew , im as new as they come and have only done 2 of the 1 gal kits thus far.
Ive been reading this post over and over for the past few days trying to soak it all in , will probably try to start with a 5 gal BIAB due to still getting mash tun parts together..
really wish i had a detailed write up on how to do a 5 gal bag version of this recipe , lol ,,
Theres one thing im wondering on the rice tho,, when you say Minute rice are you talking about the kind you'd buy at the grocery store ?

Last edited:
Ive got this one marked to do as my first real brew , im as new as they come and have only done 2 of the 1 gal kits thus far.
Ive been reading this post over and over for the past few days trying to soak it all in , will probably try to start with a 5 gal BIAB due to still getting mash tun parts together..
really wish i had a detailed write up on how to do a 5 gal bag version of this recipe , lol ,,
Theres one thing im wondering on the rice tho,, when you say Minute rice are you talking about the kind you'd buy at the grocery store ?

this was my first real brew as well. Didn't go too bad. from what I have been reading, yes, the red minute box rice is what you can use. I believe on the first or second page they give the GrAIn bill and all that info for 5-gallon Brew

Just brewed this. Lhbs didn't have any of the hops so I bittered with ctz to 24ibu then did 2oz of huell melon at flameout

Back