Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my next brew for sure. With so many great reviews how could I pass it up?! I have a question though. With such a seemingly neutral flavor profile it seems like a great candidate to experiment a little bit with. I'm thinking of splitting my 5g batch and messing around with half of it. Since I'm planning on a 5min ½oz Citra addition (possibly Sorachi Ace instead) I was thinking some lime zest might compliment it well. Thoughts? I've also seen a recipe for a lime basil saison that intrigued me. Has anyone done such a thing? I don't know about amounts for sweet basil and how strong it comes across. I certainly don't want a basil forward flavor, just something in the background.

This is my next brew for sure. With so many great reviews how could I pass it up?! I have a question though. With such a seemingly neutral flavor profile it seems like a great candidate to experiment a little bit with. I'm thinking of splitting my 5g batch and messing around with half of it. Since I'm planning on a 5min ½oz Citra addition (possibly Sorachi Ace instead) I was thinking some lime zest might compliment it well. Thoughts? I've also seen a recipe for a lime basil saison that intrigued me. Has anyone done such a thing? I don't know about amounts for sweet basil and how strong it comes across. I certainly don't want a basil forward flavor, just something in the background.

I have made this many times by the recipe.Good easy drinkier as it is.I have two 5 gallon batches fermenting now.I made it exactly by the recipe again only this time Im dry hopping with with either citra centennial or chinook separately to try different flavor profiles

So I just brewed my version of this and ended up with some crazy efficiency - target SG was 1.047 and ended up at 1.052. Will be pitching my yeast once it cools down to 65 degrees.

I brewed this this evening and made the rookie mistake of adding the hops right when the boil took off, instead if at the 60 min mark, am I going to notice this? If somewhat could I have done to correct it

I brewed this this evening and made the rookie mistake of adding the hops right when the boil took off, instead if at the 60 min mark, am I going to notice this? If somewhat could I have done to correct it

That is the 60 minute mark.. you did it correctly.

I use Citra in mine. An ounce or 2 within 5 min left in the boil does wonders!!!

I have 1oz each of citra, mosaic and pacific jade... What would the best combo/use of these hops?

Every time I've made this it has been with noble hops. Want to try a different approach this time.

I have 1oz each of citra, mosaic and pacific jade... What would the best combo/use of these hops?

Every time I've made this it has been with noble hops. Want to try a different approach this time.

Mosiac/Citra hops are an awesome combo, especially in IPA's. There is a really good Deschutes’ Fresh Squeezed IPA Clone on the AHA website in which the recipe calls for this combo.

Strike water is heating as I type. Grain bill... [emoji819]️, hops and whirfloc... [emoji819]️, "The Walking Dead" marathon cued up... [emoji819]️!

Mosiac/Citra hops are an awesome combo, especially in IPA's. There is a really good Deschutes’ Fresh Squeezed IPA Clone on the AHA website in which the recipe calls for this combo.

My hop schedule is .25ozs mosaic at 60, .75ozs mosaic and 1oz citra at 5. Comes out to 23.3 ibu's... Oh, and two deseeded jalapeño peppers at 15!

My hop schedule is .25ozs mosaic at 60, .75ozs mosaic and 1oz citra at 5. Comes out to 23.3 ibu's... Oh, and two deseeded jalapeño peppers at 15!

The jalapeño sounds very interesting. Let me know how it turns out. I would be very conservative with the additions as there isn't much malt character to help balance the spice out

The jalapeño sounds very interesting. Let me know how it turns out. I would be very conservative with the additions as there isn't much malt character to help balance the spice out

Hydrometer sample had no discernible pepper spice to it... I'll add a tincture of rum with 5 peppers chopped, though only two had seeds. Trying to keep the heat to a dull roar!

Here's a question for those of you wiser in the ways of beer magic than I (which is likely most of you). I brewed this beer on Wednesday. Hit the numbers more or less and pitched with rehydrated US05. It's been in the ferm fridge at 66 since then and now has a nice 2-3" krausen built up. Problem is I've seen zero activity in my blow off tube so far. What's going on? I have just under 5g in a 6.5g carboy so excess headspace shouldn't be an issue I don't think. Surely co2 would have started pushing oxygen out by now.

If you have foam there's certainly enough gas to push water. My guess is it's leaking out elsewhere, lid or stopper loose perhaps?

I'm using one of those orange carboy caps with a thermowell in one of the holes and the blowoff tube attached to the other. The thermowell is sealed tight and the tubing is hose clamped on. I guess it's possible that the cap itself is stretched a little. I wouldn't think this could happen but I suppose I'll double check it.

Here's a question for those of you wiser in the ways of beer magic than I (which is likely most of you). I brewed this beer on Wednesday. Hit the numbers more or less and pitched with rehydrated US05. It's been in the ferm fridge at 66 since then and now has a nice 2-3" krausen built up. Problem is I've seen zero activity in my blow off tube so far. What's going on? I have just under 5g in a 6.5g carboy so excess headspace shouldn't be an issue I don't think. Surely co2 would have started pushing oxygen out by now.

You won't get a krausen without fermentation so you are good there.
Gotta be leaking somewhere...

Last edited:
I brewed my 4th batch of this beer and changed for the following:

70% 2 row
15% Rice
15% Flaked corn

O.G 1.046 (expected F.G 1.007).
15 IBU
Safale US-05

This will be my lightest colored one so far! After the boiling it darkened a bit, but it will be pretty opaque:

20151018_082449.jpg

Made this beer the past 4 years for a group fishing trip in June and a keg has yet to last the first night....and this is from a bunch of bud light drinkers!!

Always get request for this beer.

Just made 10 gallons of this per the exact recipe. BIAB method and hit an OG of 1.053. Pitched in two carboys with WLP001 in each.

This was my first 10 gallon batch and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for a great recipe!

I just did a gravity reading after my 5 gallon batch spent 2 weeks in the primary. The OG was 1.05. My FG was 1.011. A week in the secondary might bring it down a tad. It's still sending a bubble through the tube about every minuet. The Hydro tube tasted very clean. There isn't a negative thing about how crisp and pure this beer taste. A definite quaffer. You can not screw this recipe up. I Brewed it on 10/13/15. I used an unopened container of grits my mom had bought before she died. She has been dead 7 years now. The expiration was 4/07. I also put a 1/2 of corn meal to bring me up to the recipe's requirements. I used brown rice. I put in a 1/2 pound of Carapils because who doesn't like good head. I first wort hopped 1/3 oz of Willamette and then continuous hopped the rest of the ounce starting at 60 minuets to 5 five minuets. I can't wait to get this carbonated and try it cold.

Brewed this beer a couple months ago, exactly as per the recipe on the front page. Even did the long mash and boil. I tossed a whirlfloc tablet in just for fun, and the wort I put into the fermenter was the clearest wort I've ever seen.

Wow, it's amazing! What I wanted out of this was a beer I could serve to my friends who are not so adventurous. Instead, I got a beer that I absolutely love!

Also, at the end of fermentation I had this beautiful, clean yeast cake sitting on the bottom of the carboy. So, I put that in mason jars, and have used the yeast on two subsequent beers. With the super clean wort, this beer is like a giant starter! Brew it a couple times a year, and you're good to go. You can't afford not to make this beer!

I love this beer. I've made it several times and I'll make it again in Dec.

I've changed it from the original posted recipe.

For a 5 gallon I do:
7 lb 2 row (Canadian)
4 lb pop corn.

The kernels are weighed out prior to popping.

Believe it or not this actually works amazingly. And pound for pound it's cheaper than maize.

This makes a crisp, refreshing American Light Lager style ale that even my BMC brother can't get enough of.

I've made this beer twice now and, although I enjoy it, I get a fruity flavor from it that I don't care for. My process has been spot on (volumes, mash temps, and fermentation temps)...... Any ideas?

I've made this beer twice now and, although I enjoy it, I get a fruity flavor from it that I don't care for. My process has been spot on (volumes, mash temps, and fermentation temps)...... Any ideas?

Which yeast and what fermentation temperature?

Once with US-05 and once with WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend.... Both fermented at a temp controlled 68°.

For US05, 68 is not terrible but it's at the top end of the range. I would target lower to mid 60s. Are you confident your temp readings are accurate? If you're reading 68 and the temp is just a few deg off, you're outside the optimal range.

I've actually been making it recently with Nottingham. Long Mash (90) Long Boil (90), Irish Moss, Comes out clean, and has a little bit of the fruityness. But I like that with this beer.

Just kegged a batch the other night. First time kegging. This batch is tasting like Apple juice. Not sure why

Such a solid beer, definitely my "go to".

My dad and I did this a while back, and it came out tasting almost like a sour, tart apple flavor. Thinking this was a lactobicillus (SP?) infection. Not totally sure, but man, it still, was delicious, if you don't mind a sour(ish) beer.

Such a solid beer, definitely my "go to".

My dad and I did this a while back, and it came out tasting almost like a sour, tart apple flavor. Thinking this was a lactobicillus (SP?) infection. Not totally sure, but man, it still, was delicious, if you don't mind a sour(ish) beer.

What you're describing is not delicious. Not a fan of sours!

And this is not meant to be a sour recipe. But you know what they say; Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good... ;)

:mug:

I made this for the first time recently and got the same thing exactly. Slightly tart, I wouldn't say apple but I can see what you mean. Not so sure it is an infection you've got.

I see several brewers have had a similar experience, but I have not seen a possible cause for my situation.... Anyone?

Just opened a bottle from a Co3C I brewed with 1 oz cluster, 1 oz crystal both @ 60 min also added 2 oz of liberty @ flame out.......and SHAZAM! Great beer.

Only in bottle 8 days.... can only get better I suppose.........

Thinking of cutting down on the corn and rice maybe by half. Any suggestions to how much corn sugar to use to make up the difference? When would you add the corn sugar after the mash in the kettle before boil or in the P fermentor?

Back