Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged my batch of this today. 1.007, very delicious. There was a typo in my last post. I flavored with a half *ounce* at ten minutes, not a half gram.

Probably 3 1/2 - 4 gal. left in the keg of the slightly skunky batch. I dry-hopped it in the keg with 2 oz. of whole leaf Cascade at room temp for a couple of days. Then chilled it back down. That worked pretty well. The beer tastes much better, the off flavor is gone (probably just covered up with the Cascade hops). Turned it into a very refreshing and quite drinkable beer.

I used this technique to rescue an IPA batch a while back with good success. It is a great 9-1-1 move to try before dumping a marginal batch of beer.

From the pic I thought it looked like they were floating in the creek, kind of like a hydrometer. ;)

If I can think of it in a while I'll post a pic of the last batch I made. Of course it will be in a glass, not a carboy.

Here you go. I subbed 20% flaked barley to try for more head retention.

Still has some chill haze going on. Kegged last Sunday.

IMG_20150704_174943_264.jpg

Played with this recipe a little, just for the fun of seeing how it would come out.

Cream of Six Crops Ale:
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) 36.7 %
3 lbs Corn, Flaked 20.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked 10.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rice 10.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rye, Flaked 10.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt 10.0 %
8.0 oz Acidulated 3.3 %
0.65 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 8.7 IBUs
0.60 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 5.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American - Slurry Repitch (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

This is creamier and fuller in flavor than the original. Can't say I prefer one or the other - both are good.

If I did this six crop variation again, I would increase the IBU's.

ilibg2fh.jpg

If it turned out close and its your first AG I'd say it was a success! :) Try it again when you have room in the keg or bottles available.

I like to make this beer because everyone likes it (even a few beer snob buddies), it finishes fast and is very refreshing as a summer beer. I think it is a bit sensitive to initial fermentation temps. Get it down to around 65-68F before pitching the yeast and then hold it there. It should turn out great.

Cheers!
:mug:

Well, that taste has almost gone away and my father in-law (who hates craft beer and anything without bud light written on it) said it wasn't bad. That is a win in my book. Everyone else has loved it. I also made centennial blonde so it will replace the 3 crops when its gone. I think one of the two beers will always be on rotation for my friends who don't care for IPA's or stouts.

I brewed this Last Friday. Hit 80% mash efficiency for the first time and I was pumped. Mashed a little lower than I wanted. I ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter at 1.052. I used 1056 and it is a vigorous fermentation (more aggressive than usual for 1056 in my experience). This is going to be my first batch that I keg, so I'm excited to get it into the glass. Anyone have a particular carbonation level they like for this style? I was going to shoot for 2.7 vols.

Anyone done this with lager yeast at 60F steam beer style? I have a batch of american light lager going and kentucky common ale (Saflager23) thinking about reusing the yeast from one of these brews to make the 3 crops.

I just bought enough flaked rice and maze to do 50 gallons of this recipe

all the best

S_M

You go bny. I like this one too and will likely keep it on tap for myself and friends since I'm in the process of a 6 tap keezer. :D

What am I saying. I've pretty much kept it on tap with my two tap kegorator, one tap fridge, and one picnic tap fermentor when nothing is fermenting.

You go bny. I like this one too and will likely keep it on tap for myself and friends since I'm in the process of a 6 tap keezer. :D

What am I saying. I've pretty much kept it on tap with my two tap kegorator, one tap fridge, and one picnic tap fermentor when nothing is fermenting.

I am going to do five batches to build back up my yeast I just used up what I have been pitching for a very long time

so this recipe is not only great to drink it is a great gravity to build it back up with

all the best

S_M

I'm pretty excited about my C3C brew as well. Just tasted it after a week in the bottle and it is already very good. Can't wait for a week or two from now.

Second batch of this and very happy....

My first true to recipie batch was split with my Father-in-law who came to help on brew day. I enjoyed the beer, but got through my "half" way too quickly, with the customary one and two week bottling "samples"..... I found the finish a little short and craved a bit more bitterness.

So 6 gallon batch two is coming of age now with a total of 6oz of hops.

1oz hallertauer, 1oz cascade 60 mins
1oz hallertauer, 1oz cascade 15 mins
1oz hallertauer, 1oz cascade flameout/whirlpool 10 minutes.

While this might be a little hoppy for the style, it is quite refreshing to drink in July.... I suggest try it for a change-up. The hallertauer and cascade are low in AA's, but quite flavorful. This isn't too bitter imo.

Interested to try a sample of the father-in-law's remainder of the first batch to see if time has done it any favors, we brewed it May 16, bottled May 30!

Anyone done this with lager yeast at 60F steam beer style? I have a batch of american light lager going and kentucky common ale (Saflager23) thinking about reusing the yeast from one of these brews to make the 3 crops.

I did - used Saflager 23. I wasn't a big fan. It tasted fine, but I felt like it missed the mark. My wife on the other hand, loved it. She drank the entire 3 gallon batch in a matter of a few weeks. Said it reminded her of Anchor's, but I never really gave it a chance after my first taste.

Second batch of this and very happy....

My first true to recipie batch was split with my Father-in-law who came to help on brew day. I enjoyed the beer, but got through my "half" way too quickly, with the customary one and two week bottling "samples"..... I found the finish a little short and craved a bit more bitterness.

So 6 gallon batch two is coming of age now with a total of 6oz of hops.

1oz hallertauer, 1oz cascade 60 mins
1oz hallertauer, 1oz cascade 15 mins
1oz hallertauer, 1oz cascade flameout/whirlpool 10 minutes.

While this might be a little hoppy for the style, it is quite refreshing to drink in July.... I suggest try it for a change-up. The hallertauer and cascade are low in AA's, but quite flavorful. This isn't too bitter imo.

Interested to try a sample of the father-in-law's remainder of the first batch to see if time has done it any favors, we brewed it May 16, bottled May 30!

I did a dry hopped cream ale last summer (not this recipe) with Willamette at 60, 20, and flame out, then lightly dry hopped with El Dorado. It's not strictly to style, but really good. Hoppy but not bitter. And it goes well with food.

Mine was a 3 gallon batch, but only half oz additions. Yours must be a lot more bitter and hoppy!

Doing a 5 Gal tonight with .50oz Williamette @60,.25oz Hallertau @60,a tiny bit of leftover Amarillo and citra at flameout.

Early morning brewing, I'm the only early riser at my house wife and kids won't get up til 930-10 so I figured what better to do with the 5 hours of alone time

Moved to fermenter and topped off og was 1.053, was nervous at first looked really light again

Sitting here at work thinking about yesterday at this time I was brewing...ready to retire and I'm only 28 haha

Pushing the limits this time, going to keg on Sunday which is 7 days into fermentation and then I'll do a 24hr force carb and effectively be grain to glass in 8 days

Last of the "tripple hopped" version in the glass tonight, I think I overdid the priming sugar, or didn't "mix" properly. Some bottles were sublime, others have a 3" head that grows for about 5 minutes after pouring. The last bottle is obviously the best, as there is no more to be had. It really is nice to have a fresh beer vs store bought.

I shot for 2.8 volumes carbonation. Next time 2.5 and 4oz total hops. I think I have something here with the hallertauer and cascade together. Just a little severe without extra malt flavour at 6oz. I will do this recipe again, and I think with safale 05 instead of Nottingham to see if that improves things.

Here is my partial mash version. Bit of chill haze but I also left my glass in the freezer for an hour. Tasty.

20150717_165948.jpg

Here is a drop to 1 gallon assuming 65% efficiency:

1 lbs 4.0 oz .. 2-Row
7.0 oz ......... Corn, Flaked
2.0 oz ......... Rice

0.15 oz Crystal - Boil 60.0 min
0.15 oz Willamette - Boil 60.0 min

1.0 pkg US-05 Yeast

Good Luck,
Cody

I am trying this tomorrow. Glad to see some 1 gallon people out here. I don't have the room for a larger setup in my apt.

I am going to try 2 batches, and add blackberries to one.

I had a bumper crop of raspberries this year, so I secondaried my 5 gallons on somewhere between 3-4lbs of my berries. I froze the berries for 48 hours to kill off any wild yeast, then racked on top for 3 days after am 8 day primary.

The glass is sweating because it's humid as all get out right now. It's actually a very clear beer. I think I shall call this one Warrior's Blood.

This is one I'm probably most proud of at this point. It's got a big raspberry nose, solid tart berry flavor, and a crisp dry finish.

I did the following Grain Bill:
4lb 2 row
4lb 6 row
1lb flaked maize
14oz box of Minute Rice
1 cup of table sugar in the mash
Yeast:
Good ole US-05.
Hops:
1 oz cascade whole leaf, locally grown
1 oz of German Hallertauer whole leaf.
Priming Sugar:
Local Honey to 2.3vols
Estimated 4.9% ABV

cream ale.jpg

I had a bumper crop of raspberries this year, so I secondaried my 5 gallons on somewhere between 3-4lbs of my berries. I froze the berries for 48 hours to kill off any wild yeast, then racked on top for 3 days after am 8 day primary.

The glass is sweating because it's humid as all get out right now. It's actually a very clear beer. I think I shall call this one Warrior's Blood.

This is one I'm probably most proud of at this point. It's got a big raspberry nose, solid tart berry flavor, and a crisp dry finish.

I did the following Grain Bill:
4lb 2 row
4lb 6 row
1lb flaked maize
14oz box of Minute Rice
1 cup of table sugar in the mash
Yeast:
Good ole US-05.
Hops:
1 oz cascade whole leaf, locally grown
1 oz of German Hallertauer whole leaf.
Priming Sugar:
Local Honey to 2.3vols
Estimated 4.9% ABV

This looks awesome! Did you use a fining agent or cold crash?

I brewed it and left it in primary for 3 weeks, then kegged 5 gallons and laggered for a month. Followed the recipe but adjusted for a 6 gallon batch.

SUPER clean taste with some sweetness- which I am sure i'm getting more because I boiled it for 2 hours just to try.
My 2 hour boil also darkened it a bit more than my first batch, but I like it.

Yeast: Safale US05 fermented at 64 degrees and slowly raised to 70ish over 2 weeks.
OG: 1.043
FG: 1.008

Good stuff!

brewed this recipe on the 21st kegged it on the 28th drinking it today and it so good

this the 13th time I have brewed this and will be brewing it again tomorrow and on Saturday

such a good summer drinking beer

all the best

S_M

Brewing this tomorrow.

6 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Flaked Maize
8 oz Flaked rice
1 oz Saaz
Safale US-05

Seriously, this recipe rocks! Experiment, but ime the corn/rice should be closer by weight. The appeal of this recipe imo is the light body, courtesy of the rice. Too much corn is going to impart a very specific flavour. If that's what you're after, fair play to you!

Back