Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the corn meal and minute rice will you need to make a cereal mash prior to adding it to the crushed grain in the mastun? Will the weight amounts be about the same for corn meal as flaked corn?

I used the same weight of minute rice and corn meal in the recipe I am drinking the corn meal brew now and it taste the same as the flaked corn to me

I just mashed the corn meal and minute rice with the base malt in my cooler but the 90 minute mash is the important thing, I only boiled for 60 minutes

this recipe will be one I have on tap all the time

I can't wait to try it with all Vienna but that will be in a bit I just brewed an English mild today

all the best

S_M

Just slid this into the ferm chamber. Will check it in the morning. Doubled up the hops since I didn't wanna keep the extra half oz around. Used slurry from a batch I bottled today (US-05).

Taking this to a crawfish boil in 3 weeks. Hope it's ready by then!!!!

I have had this kegged for about two weeks now and the glass I had last night was excellent. I turned my psi up a little higher than what is recommended for a cream ale

Just put this in the fermentor last night... Super excited to try it!! My question is about the flaked corn, I pay .81 for 2 row at my lhbs, but 2.00 for flaked corn. I thought the corn was supposed to be the cheap part??? Any suggestions as to an alternate for flaked corn?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just put this in the fermentor last night... Super excited to try it!! My question is about the flaked corn, I pay .81 for 2 row at my lhbs, but 2.00 for flaked corn. I thought the corn was supposed to be the cheap part??? Any suggestions as to an alternate for flaked corn?

The corn is much cheaper if you are buying a train load of it compared to a train load of malt. (Like the BMC companies do.) :) But in home brewing, there is a lot more malt sold and used, so we pay a premium for the adjuncts, like corn. You could buy cracked corn, cook it and then mash with the rest of your grains to try and save a little, but it is much easier to just pay the extra. Or you could use all malt, but that would have a major affect on the flavor of the final product.

In the Briess grain order my HBC got this week I paid $20 each for 25 lbs of flaked grain and flaked rice. That is 80 cents per pound so with the normal HBS markup I think $2.00 per lb is reasonable considering the need to have 1 lb packages.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397606149.111975.jpg my first all grain, very happy with the results. The only change I did was I added .50 lb of Carapils. Makes for a nice easy drinker with just a tad more mouth fill. My two tap tower is going to be going to a four tap system in the very near future, and I can see this a being a regular on the rotation. PS: I brewed this 24 days ago, at 19 days it was good, at 20 days it was better. Now it's everything it was described to be in this thread, THANKS BM!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

View attachment 193486 my first all grain, very happy with the results. The only change I did was I added .50 lb of Carapils. Makes for a nice easy drinker with just a tad more mouth fill. My two tap tower is going to be going to a four tap system in the very near future, and I can see this a being a regular on the rotation. PS: I brewed this 24 days ago, at 19 days it was good, at 20 days it was better. Now it's everything it was described to be in this thread, THANKS BM!

How long did you let the beer ferment and how long had it been in the keg at the time you took your picture. It looks like you have a great result there.

View attachment 193486 my first all grain, very happy with the results. The only change I did was I added .50 lb of Carapils. Makes for a nice easy drinker with just a tad more mouth fill. My two tap tower is going to be going to a four tap system in the very near future, and I can see this a being a regular on the rotation. PS: I brewed this 24 days ago, at 19 days it was good, at 20 days it was better. Now it's everything it was described to be in this thread, THANKS BM!

How long did you let the beer ferment and how long had it been in the keg at the time you took your picture. It looks like you have a great result there.

14 day fermentation, 9 days in the keg. I chilled it to serving temp (24 hrs), force carbed it for 24 hours @ 30 lbs. So what you see is 23 days grain to glass. Very happy with it. Wife says it's a great wing beer. , My grain crush was not what it should of been, I got 68-69% efficiency, so I started to run my grains through the mill twice! and I am getting into the upper 70's, low 80's in efficiency now. I have a barley crusher, the rollers are set at .039.

PS: Beersmith , said I should have been at 5.4%, but I came out at 4.7%, still delish!!

14 day fermentation, 9 days in the keg. I chilled it to serving temp (24 hrs), force carbed it for 24 hours @ 30 lbs. So what you see is 23 days grain to glass. Very happy with it. Wife says it's a great wing beer. ,y grain crush was not what it should of been, I got 68-69% efficiency, so I started to run my grains through the mill twice! and I am getting into the upper 70's, low 80's in efficiency now. I have a barley crusher, the rollers are set at .039.

PS: Beers,it's said I should have been at 5.4%, but I came out at 4.7%, still delish!!

If you don't mind let me know how it tastes a few weeks from now. I am curious to see if gets any better with time while it is on the gas. I usually let my beers ferment for 3 weeks and then sit on the gas for 3 weeks but I would like to find an easy drinking beer that I can turn around in a month if needed.

Brewed this 4 days ago as my first 5 gallon all-grain batch (Scaled it down to 5 gallons from the original) since it was so simple. Nailed almost all of my temps for mash and sparge. Took almost 24 hours in the carboy to get going, but when it did, well, it's got to be one of the wildest looking fermentations I've seen in a while. I look forward to the results.

I added gelatin to keg and after letting it sit a few days before I started drinking it, it is getting clearer with every glass I pour. The flavor is getting better by the day also.

1397650585296.jpg

I turned my psi up a bit higher than is recommended for a cream ale and it had a nice thick head on it but I messed around to much with trying to find something to put behind it so you could see how clear it was.

kegged mine 2 days ago, 24hrs at 30psi, now lower to 12psi. Going on the road for a couple days, good thing so I will leave it alone! can't wait to taste tho!

Racked this off of strawberries two days ago throwing it in a keg tonight hydro samples were great

If you don't mind let me know how it tastes a few weeks from now. I am curious to see if gets any better with time while it is on the gas. I usually let my beers ferment for 3 weeks and then sit on the gas for 3 weeks but I would like to find an easy drinking beer that I can turn around in a month if needed.

Yup, will do! If it doesn't change from where it is now, I will still be happy. I was surprised how much it changed in one day, so see ya in 30 days for an update! ( and picture)

Just brewed a variation of this recipe.

Grain Bill:

3 lbs 2 oz of 2 Row Malt
1 lb 1 oz of Flaked Corn
8.2 oz of Minute Rice

I did a 90 minute BIAB mash in my 20 qt brew kettle with 3.9 gallons of water. Mash temperature started at 150 degrees. When I measured it, after 40 minutes it dropped to 146 degrees so I removed the grain bag and reheated it to 150 degrees. Then I replaced the grain and continued the mash. After another 50 minutes, the mash temperature was at 148.

After removing the grain I started the boil. Pre boil gravity was 1.033

Did a 30 minute boil followed by my first hop addition:

0.25 oz Willamette

After 50 additional minutes I added:

0.36 oz of Crystal Hops and 1/4 tsp of rehydrated Irish Moss followed by flameout 10 minutes later.

Total volume into fermenter is 2.25 gallons with an OG of 1.051
Estimated ABV is 5.4% and IBUs is 18.2

Right now, its cooling down to 48 degrees for me to pitch my yeast slurry from a 1.3 L starter of WLP800 (Pilsner Lager Yeast). After pitching I will set my Chest Freezer to 52 degrees for primary fermentation. I intend to raise the temperature to 55 degrees after 5 days, and then gradually ramp it up to 65 when Krausen starts to fall for a Diacetyl Rest. I will then transfer to a secondary and Lager at 40 degrees for 2 weeks followed by another 2 weeks at 34 degrees. After that, I will pitch a 10mL starter of S04 yeast and bottle it.

Brewed yesterday. used .75 Saaz and .60 Hallertau at 60 min. Racked on a wlp001 yeast cake with a quarter inch or so of summer ale i just finished. Wake up this morning to a Easter surprise...yeast all over the lid. I switched to a blow off tube.

Just brewed a variation of this recipe.

Grain Bill:

3 lbs 2 oz of 2 Row Malt
1 lb 1 oz of Flaked Corn
8.2 oz of Minute Rice

I did a 90 minute BIAB mash in my 20 qt brew kettle with 3.9 gallons of water. Mash temperature started at 150 degrees. When I measured it, after 40 minutes it dropped to 146 degrees so I removed the grain bag and reheated it to 150 degrees. Then I replaced the grain and continued the mash. After another 50 minutes, the mash temperature was at 148.

After removing the grain I started the boil. Pre boil gravity was 1.033

Did a 30 minute boil followed by my first hop addition:

0.25 oz Willamette

After 50 additional minutes I added:

0.36 oz of Crystal Hops and 1/4 tsp of rehydrated Irish Moss followed by flameout 10 minutes later.

Total volume into fermenter is 2.25 gallons with an OG of 1.051
Estimated ABV is 5.4% and IBUs is 18.2

Right now, its cooling down to 48 degrees for me to pitch my yeast slurry from a 1.3 L starter of WLP800 (Pilsner Lager Yeast). After pitching I will set my Chest Freezer to 52 degrees for primary fermentation. I intend to raise the temperature to 55 degrees after 5 days, and then gradually ramp it up to 65 when Krausen starts to fall for a Diacetyl Rest. I will then transfer to a secondary and Lager at 40 degrees for 2 weeks followed by another 2 weeks at 34 degrees. After that, I will pitch a 10mL starter of S04 yeast and bottle it.

You really don`t need the S04 at bottling time unless your trying to go for a different taste. Lager works just like ale at bottling time. I never had a problem with bottling lager even after 8 weeks of largering and then bottling without adding yeast. Just wanted to point that out.

Just did a version with....

13.5 Gallons pre boil, 11.5 post boil

12 # 2 row
4 # Flaked Maize
1 # 12 oz # Minute Rice
1 # Carahell
Irish Moss

1.5 Saaz (3.0) @ 60
1.5 Saaz @45
!.5 Saaz @30

90 Minute Mash @152
90 Minute Boil

US 05...
Bubbling away nicely after 10 hrs or so...

Recently switched equipment, and I completely undershot my temperature and after adding a bunch of boiling water and still being under, I gave up. Hit about 147. So I'm going to have a very lightbodied version of this. I ended up doing kind of a decoction where I pulled off about a gallon of the wort after 30 minutes, raised the temperature, and added it back in. Ended up at 156 for the last 60 minutes. I suspect I'm going to have a very lightbodied version of this, but I don't know. I'm a bit worried about the other off effects from the decoction mash coming through in such a light beer. Regardless, I'm going to relax and not worry.

Good news is I hit the target OG. I pitched 5 gallons with US-05 and 5 gallons with Wyeast Kolsch.

This will also be my inaugural kegging batch. I plan to put the US-05 into a keg first, and let the kolsch age a little longer.

Recently switched equipment, and I completely undershot my temperature and after adding a bunch of boiling water and still being under, I gave up. Hit about 147. So I'm going to have a very lightbodied version of this. I ended up doing kind of a decoction where I pulled off about a gallon of the wort after 30 minutes, raised the temperature, and added it back in. Ended up at 156 for the last 60 minutes. I suspect I'm going to have a very lightbodied version of this, but I don't know. I'm a bit worried about the other off effects from the decoction mash coming through in such a light beer. Regardless, I'm going to relax and not worry.

Good news is I hit the target OG. I pitched 5 gallons with US-05 and 5 gallons with Wyeast Kolsch.

This will also be my inaugural kegging batch. I plan to put the US-05 into a keg first, and let the kolsch age a little longer.

call it a step mash and you are all good :)

cheers!

S_M

30 min @147. Pulled a decoction. 60 min @156. I dont see a problem here. Did you observe any mailliard reactions will raising the temp of the decoction? Prob not if you didn't boil it. The 5 gallons of Kolsch may be surprisingly close to a real Kolsch, minus the wheat. I think you are gonna have 2 great batches of beer :). Do you intend to lager the 5 gallons of Kolsch?

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

Racked this off of strawberries two days ago throwing it in a keg tonight hydro samples were great

Did you leave the strawberries whole or did you cut them in half or such?

Did you leave the strawberries whole or did you cut them in half or such?

I left them whole but think ill half next time used 4 pounds frozen.

Am drinking on my second batch of Co3C and took some to my (new!) LHBS' first tasting event. I had a great suggestion given, to add some strawberry or blueberry to the recipe. I can see that being a really tasty brew! May give that a whirl very soon.

Am drinking on my second batch of Co3C and took some to my (new!) LHBS' first tasting event. I had a great suggestion given, to add some strawberry or blueberry to the recipe. I can see that being a really tasty brew! May give that a whirl very soon.

Funny you should say that. I'll making this for the first time at the end of may, and decided to to a 10 gallon batch, split it and do half with strawberries. I'll use the canned strawberries from Oregon Fruit, if I can find it. I can get blueberry and cherry easily, though.

Funny you should say that. I'll making this for the first time at the end of may, and decided to to a 10 gallon batch, split it and do half with strawberries. I'll use the canned strawberries from Oregon Fruit, if I can find it. I can get blueberry and cherry easily, though.

Just finished carbing almost a strawberry cereal taste still green cold crashing now but damn good used frozen whole strawberries

Brewed up ~17 gallons of this on Friday. 18# 2-Row, 6# Flaked Corn, 1.5# Minute Rice. Mashed for 60 minutes at 150 using my eHERMS. Boiled for 60 minutes with 2oz Crystal and 1.5oz Williamette. Pretty smooth brew day overall. It came out at 1.048 to start. Fermenting away with 2 packs of Safale US05 that I made a 3 liter starter out of. Can't wait to taste it!

Before I started brewing 5 months ago I was a hard core ML drinker. I've not missed ML 1 bit since I started home brewing but I liked the idea of doing a beer that I could toss at my buddies that have not yet turned from the dark side. I had this in pri for 2 or 3 weeks...bottled for 1 week and tossed 1 in fridge over weekend to sample during another brew session. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be. BMC drinkers will enjoy this and it still has a great "craft" taste that gives you something to talk about.

Thanks OP!

Latest posts

Back