Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this as my second-ever all grain (except had a manifold for lautering instead of a pop bottle, and an immersion chiller instead of a snowbank!)

I did a 5 gal batch, with slightly generous portions to make up for assumed beginners inefficiency. Used cereal mashed corn meal, minute rice, canadian 2-row, and some cluster to replace the Williamette hops.

A few highlights from the brew day:
-getting so excited about doing a cereal mash that I forgot to crush the barley before I added it. (Solution: pretended that barley didn't exist, added an extra lb, crushed this time)

-adding strike water... stirring... wondering why my grain is so dry ... only THEN noticing the the enormous pool of water on the other side of my cooler. In the future I'll try to keep my lautering valve closed for this step.

-Knocking apart my manifold on my second batch sparge, emptying a pound of grain into my pot (had to dump it all back into the cooler, go into the 170* mash with rubber gloves to fix the manifold.)

-Boiling over. Boiling over again. Rinse, repeat, rinse.

-Just now realized I forgot irish moss. Guess I'll do gelatin in the secondary.

- However... I got my final volume very close, and SG was about 1.047 .. so... woo hoo!

Update: kegged and served! Not crystal clear, even with gelatin, but pretty good. Tastes like a nice, light beer, though I have a bit of a sweet finish - might have mashed a bit too high. Gets good reviews so far though!

has anyone tried making this with pilsner instead of 2row?

I was thinking the same thing!

I tried my batch that was kegged on Sunday, and it's PDG for a few days on the gas. In the beginning I was a little worried, my samples smelled sour, and tasted horrible, and I was thinking it was infected. I used some washed Kolsch yeast from a previous batch, and thought for sure that was the problem. Is it normal for this recipe to taste sour during sampling?

i have a cake of nottigham i can use but i also have a fresh pack of us05 i can use. do you think one would be a big difference in this brew? do you think i should just go with the 05?

i dont know how, but somehow my OG was only 1.024! thats with the 90minute mash and a 1/2lb of sugar added! i messed up and only used 1qt of strike water per pound of grain but i still must have messed up some other way also

hey BM. I may try this recipe out. What are your thoughts of 2oz of cascade at teh start of boil and thats it?

thanks!

hey BM. I may try this recipe out. What are your thoughts of 2oz of cascade at teh start of boil and thats it?

thanks!

That would be okay. When I came up with this recipe it was in the middle of the hops shortage and Cascade were too precious to use on a non-APA. Do some calculations though and make sure 2 ounces doesn't push the IBU's up too high.

DSCN3408.jpg

After 4 weeks aged.... Very clear, crisp, and tasty. Thanks B.M. for the great recipe!
thumbsup.gif

Now I'm just waiting for the centennial blond to finish aging.... :D

Brewing 20 Gallons of this today for my brothers bachelor party. I changed the malt bill slightly.

24 lbs Rahr Premium Pilsner
8 lbs Flaked Corn
2 lbs Flaked Rice

Bought SaFale us-05 this time...

I used wine yeast for one of my buckets last time and 1056 for the other.. the 1056 was awsome but the wine yeast was terrible. I may have to dump it... no more yeast experements for a while.

Brewed this last night as the second part of my first AG and ended up short on volume.
I had 6.5 gallons or so of wort - almost filling the kettle, but boiled off so much that my carboy maybe has 4 gallons in it now. My gravity reading was around 1.020 at the end of the sparge as the pot filled up to the 6.5 gallon mark, so I assume trying to get more wort out for a second pot or adding water after the boil would hurt things - right?

It still looks yummy and I'm sure still drinkable, but will probably go quickly.

Brewed ten gallons a week and a half ago and now it's cold crashing. Already I'm amazed at how clear and dry it is. This is going to be way refreshing for the miller high life devotees in my life, and perfect with a bowl full of chili.

Right now Edwort's Haus Pale is my go-to beer to brew when I want something to perfectly compliment some competition chili. I think his and your cream of three are going to do battle on the ol' taps.

Respect to both of you master brewers. Thanks for the recipes.

I'm hovering between 68 and 70 degrees and the little yeasties are dancing like crazy inside the carboy...

They're putting the centennial blonde guys to shame - I hope they won't peter out too soon...

hmmm looks like a good homebrew gateway beer for my first AG batch. I have some BMC friends that need educating. I'm planning on brewing 5 gallons, adding .5 lbs wheat. 4 grains in one beer would just be kind of cool. Do you think adding .5 lbs wheat malt will affect clarity? It would be nice to keep it crystal clear.

Going to brew this w/in the next 3 days and first wort hop.Which would be better--Magnum,cascade or fuggles?Dad is a big BMC drinker and this looks right on for him.

Magnum...but it won't take very much.
Yeah,I planned on .38 oz @ 12.1AA and it should be around 14.7IBU's tinseth.Or should I bump up the amt to account for the decrease in percieved bitterness from FWHing?I'm really stoked about this one.I had magnum in mind and had hoped you would concur.They have such a mild aroma I really want to see how it comes thru in a small beer.Oh,and thanks for such a prompt reply.

I'm brewing 5g of this right now, trying to be patient with the longer mash. I had to sub Mt. Hood for the Crystal, but all should be well. Thanks for posting your recipe!
-Ben

Doing a 5 gallon batch with
5.5 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.5 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)
.5 lb rice hulls
My gravity in the kettle, right before boil, is 1.032 (chilled to 60˚), 6.75 gallon runnings.
how do I figure efficiency with minute rice?
Thanks
-Ben
man I must not have vorlaufed enough because my carboy is full of cold break. it clogged my filter, I had to scrape it, and I still only ended up with 4 gallons. ugh. I seem to come up short every time I brew.

I measured a 1.011 after 2 weeks in the primary. It's not too clear - not sure why as I used Irish Moss and followed the recipe closely for 5 gallons... but I'm not hung up on that. It looks very golden and clear in the tester and the SWMBO likes it - says it tastes and looked a bit like a Russian beer - Tinkhoff. That's good news, since it was one of our favorites in Europe (Moldova).
DSC001281.JPG

DSC00130.JPG

I am thinking about doing this beer trying to use the brew in a bag process. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any input or suggestions if brewing this recipe with that process?

Made this a several weeks back and it went into the keg two weeks ago. It was crystal clear before chilling then had chill haze for about 4-5 days. Since then it is easily the clearest beer i've every made and as clear as anything I've every seen. Could easily be fooled into thinking it was filtered.

I'm not a fan of "light" beers, and I brewed this specifically for my shriner buddies, my wife, father in law and my brother who are all BMC drinkers.

The verdict? The wife says it's the best beer she has ever drank, and tonight showed great concern that the keg will easily be empty before the next batch is done. My father in law wants to put in a Kegerator at his place specifically to put this beer on tap.

My shriner buddies absolutely HATED this beer. They were critical of every aspect of it. They all drink Miller Lite exclusively, so I consider this the ultimate compliment coming from them! :)

Made this a several weeks back and it went into the keg two weeks ago. It was crystal clear before chilling then had chill haze for about 4-5 days. Since then it is easily the clearest beer i've every made and as clear as anything I've every seen. Could easily be fooled into thinking it was filtered.

I'm not a fan of "light" beers, and I brewed this specifically for my shriner buddies, my wife, father in law and my brother who are all BMC drinkers.

The verdict? The wife says it's the best beer she has ever drank, and tonight showed great concern that the keg will easily be empty before the next batch is done. My father in law wants to put in a Kegerator at his place specifically to put this beer on tap.

My shriner buddies absolutely HATED this beer. They were critical of every aspect of it. They all drink Miller Lite exclusively, so I consider this the ultimate compliment coming from them! :)
What exactly were their comments?I brewed this for my Miller Lite loving father.

Cream of Three Crops is officially in the fermenter!! I used rice hulls and would recommend them to anyone else brewing this, I could see some problems without them! Im excited

I could not help myself and added 1/4 oz cascade leaf at flameout.
Mine has not really cleared, but is now in the keg for cold crash and co2.
I ended up with 1.044 to 1.002 after a week so I have 4 gallons around 5.5%. Looking fwd to tasting this one cold and carbed. The hydrometer sample was tasty.

Latest posts

Back