Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you use Cornmeal from the grocery store?

Yes. I just put it in a pot on the stove with plenty of water (then subtracted that water from the final recipe) and slow-cooked it for about half an hour. Be warned, though - you HAVE to keep stirring it otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.

You can do the same with the rice, or, use instant rice.

B

birvine said:
Yes. I just put it in a pot on the stove with plenty of water (then subtracted that water from the final recipe) and slow-cooked it for about half an hour. Be warned, though - you HAVE to keep stirring it otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.

You can do the same with the rice, or, use instant rice.

B

That's great, thanks for the tip. I will try this next time I brew it!

Did you use Cornmeal from the grocery store?

I used P.A.N. from the store its precooked corn meal. You can find it in the Mexican section. Also use instant Rice. Both Work great. efficiency was about 85%. Last batch I made subbed in 8oz of table sugar took out 12oz of corn. Racking to secondary tomorrow. Hope its as good as the first batch.

Many thanks for the recipe BierMunche. I bottled conditioned for 4-weeks, and I think this is a very pleasant sociable beer. I have friends that don’t care for dark beers, or IPA’s, and I wouldn’t share one of my over hopped beers with them. I put this one to the test, shared it, and they came back for more. (Naturally I cut them off, lol)
The brew club I belong to wants me to share this at our upcoming dinner of 7 courses of various beers, 5 courses of foods paired to match the beers.

I will definitely keep this one in stock, and plan on brewing batch #2 this weekend.

I just bought the ingredients to do a five gallon batch of this today. My grain bill was 6 lbs. of two row, 2 lbs. of flaked maize, and 1 lb. of flaked rice. Using one ounce of Willamette, and Safale US05 yeast.

I will attempt this tomorrow as my first AG brewing experience. Hope all goes well!

I'm brewing this right now, and as I got the OG sample, the color is looking sort of like lemonade. My 5 gallon grain bill was:

6lb 2-row
2lb flaked corn
1lb flaked rice

Do you all think it'll stay this color? Doesn't seem so yellow to me :(

My guess is that corn in suspension is giving it the yellow colour. Mine was like that and over time when the corn fell out of suspension it cleared nicely and all as good.

B

My guess is that corn in suspension is giving it the yellow colour. Mine was like that and over time when the corn fell out of suspension it cleared nicely and all as good.

B

I spent about a whole hour last night browsing this thread and saw peoples pictures, seems similar to mine. I checked beersmith, and i had the same SRM as the original recipe. Sounds like everything will turn out ok. Thanks for the clarification birvine!

If you dry-hopped this with an ounce of Tettnanger, do you think it would approximate a Helles?

I've been reading this forum for a while now and they talk about adding gelatin to clear it up. Do you all just add it or do you boil it first? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Do not boil the gelatin. Get the beer cold either in your bucket, carboy of keg. Heat 1-2 cups of water to around 160 F and add the gelatin. Stir and remove from heat. Let this cool and then add to your beer. If you boil the gelatin then it will turn solid when placed in your beer. My temp of 160 F is an approximation since I am in another state than where my brewing notes are.

Hello all. I've talked to some people who brewed this, and they all love it (mainly because SWMBO loves it). I don't have any special occasion for brewing this, except it's winter, and not raining. This will be my 4th AG brew, and from what it sounds like, will definitely be a staple in my collection.

Anyway... I took BM's original recipe, plugged it into BeerSmith, and scaled it down to 5.5. Then I rounded the numbers up to whole numbers.. I added 8oz (1/2#) table sugar just to boost the OG a bit. It went from 1.040 to 1.045. Not sure why I care, but the BJCP guidelines on the bottom made me want to be in all the green areas...

Mashed 90min @ 151. Target was 152, but I won't complain. I'm using 10g Rubbermaid drink dispensers for HLT and MT. They usually hold the temps well, and don't seem to lose too much heat. However, it's 41*F outside, so I decided to wrap the MT in three blankets. So far, it's going between 150.8 and 151.2. I also used about 3/4 tbsp of 5.2 ph stabilizer in the MT, and will use another tbsp in the HLT. Other than that, I'm very fortunate to live in an area with damn near perfect water for most brewing.

When it's all done, I'll go back and adjust the eff./pre-boil OG, and post boil og/amt numbers.

Code:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.05 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt	Name                                     Type	#	%/IBU         
6 lbs	Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain	1	66.7 %        
2 lbs	Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                   Grain	2	22.2 %        
8.0 oz	Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)                    Grain	3	5.6 %         
8.0 oz	Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)         Sugar	4	5.6 %         
0.50 oz	Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop	5	7.6 IBUs      
0.50 oz	Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop	6	9.7 IBUs      
1 tab	Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining	7	-             
1.0 pkg	Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP08 Yeast	8	-             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs
----------------------------
Name	Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In	Add 12.75 qt of water at 166.6 F        152.0 F       90 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.63 gal water at 168.0 F

Well, I started the mash, and forgot to start a timer (too busy reading forums). I realized it about 15-20 minutes later...and just decided to set the timer for 60m. When the time was up, started the vorlauf and fly sparge... Stuck. Like... stuck. It's a problem i've had 2 times before. I'm using the 9" domed false bottom from MoreBeer. The 12" is out of stock. I've talked to the guys in the store, and they're willing to let me switch it out (and pay the difference) when the 12" is back in stock. I'm guessing that the extra 1.5" on the sides is allowing some of the grain to sneak under the dome...

To fix it, I had to dump everything from the MT into the brew kettle... remove the false bottom, rinse it off, swirl some hot water in the bottom to clean it out, replace, and then slowly dump the grains and water back inside the MT. Talk about making a long day longer...

Either way... it ended up working out, and i'm fly sparging now... been going for about 15 minutes... 45 to go. This already looks promising...

****. This is turning into the Murphy's Law brew day. SWMBO just turned into SWMBS (the is stands for slapped). The wife left the garage door open...the dog went into the garage, and knocked the tube from the MT to the brew kettle out... That little ****er (80 lbs of little ****er) climbed up on to the bench (2ft high) and tried to drink the sweet wort... found it about 10 minutes later...so at a sparge rate of 1gal/10 minutes (6g/hour), I lost about 1gal to the dog and floor.... FML. The dog was licking the floor, and not the tube, and the kettle was covered...so... don't think it was contaminated... But at 30 minutes into the sparge, that's still a fairly high gravity wort coming out.

I think I can take a gravity reading near the end of the sparge, and add more table sugar as needed. I also have a 6lb bag of LME in the garage that has been there for about 2 months...

And while trying to make a starter for this, my Erlenmeyer flask cracked when I put it in the ice water bath. I took it to the LHBS and showed them the cracks along with the store printed directions stating to boil the wort in the flask, and then put it in a cold water bath. They replaced the flask and DME, no problem. I also picked up a package of Safale US-05... figured since everything else went wrong...might as well use a cheaper yeast... shouldn't make a difference in this recipe anyway...

But I got approx 5 gal into the carboy, and have an OG of 1.034 after losing a gallon of wort. I only added the original 8oz of sugar... Oh well. It's not gonna last long anyway... now I just have a reason to do this over...correctly.

DavesNotHere said:
And while trying to make a starter for this, my Erlenmeyer flask cracked when I put it in the ice water bath. I took it to the LHBS and showed them the cracks along with the store printed directions stating to boil the wort in the flask, and then put it in a cold water bath. They replaced the flask and DME, no problem. I also picked up a package of Safale US-05... figured since everything else went wrong...might as well use a cheaper yeast... shouldn't make a difference in this recipe anyway...

But I got approx 5 gal into the carboy, and have an OG of 1.034 after losing a gallon of wort. I only added the original 8oz of sugar... Oh well. It's not gonna last long anyway... now I just have a reason to do this over...correctly.

Sounds like a brew session from h-e double hockey sticks. At least you got a batch out of all the chaos. You should totally dub it dog-snatched cream ale!! Im sure it'll be a great beer bro.

Sounds like a brew session from h-e double hockey sticks. At least you got a batch out of all the chaos. You should totally dub it dog-snatched cream ale!! Im sure it'll be a great beer bro.

I actually kicked around the name "Dog Slobber," or some derivative with the word "cream ale."

When buying the ingredients, I purchased enough of everything for 11.5 batches accidentally. I bought 6lbs 2-row, but the 11.5gal amounts of corn, rice, and hops. When I had my flask replaced, i picked up another 6lbs 2-row.

I'll make this again next monday when I'm off work. Should be a better day. :)

has anyone done a 15gal batch? i want to put this in a sanke keg and so it would be easiest for me to brew 15 gallons at a time

what amounts for each ingredient should i use?

I have brewed this twice in 5 gallon batches. Once the original recipe and once with a sub of 1 lb of sugar and removed 1 lb of corn. IMO the original recipe is much better, better flavor and better balance of hops and sweetness.

Also in my setup I have seen large efficiency gains with small grain bills which puts the OG/IBU balance out of whack. So again IMO if your going to sub sugar for corn then up the IBU's to about 18-20 or at least measure your preboil gravity and adjust your IBU's accordingly to get the best balance.

taintedplay said:
has anyone done a 15gal batch? i want to put this in a sanke keg and so it would be easiest for me to brew 15 gallons at a time

Just ratchet up the ingredient list proportionately. :D

Easiest way to do it, is divide in half, then multiply by three. The original post is for essentially 10 gallons bottled or kegged... so divide in half (10/2=5), then multiply by 3 (cuz 5*3=15)...

If you wanna use a program like beersmith/promash/wahtever, you can do that automagically...

Or, take the 11.5gal yield recipe, divide all of the ingredients by 11.5 to get the amount per 1 gal, then multiply by 15, because you're making 15 gallons...

The explanation is a lot more complicated than the actual math/practice of scaling up or down proportionately.

Interresting.. It's winter...so I have my my 2 carboys in my 38DD Mother of a fermentation chamber...and they're wrapped in an electric blanket (cuz my old ass house is cold).... I have a carboy with 5gal of a Raspberry wheat I made...and the 2nd has the Dog Slobber version of C3Cs....

I re-hydrated the S-05 yeast in approx 6oz of sanitized, boiled tap water..cooled to 70*F, pitched yeast in small flask... waited 20 minutes...pitched into 68*F wort...

The air lock's been bubbling for a day and a half, but haven't removed the blanket....Until tonight. The yeast cake on the bottom is all chunky... it looks as though it's made up of lots and lots of tiny little pebbles and rocks... It's not at all like the standard yeast cake "muck" pile we're all used to seeing. Any idea why it looks so different? When I transferred the wort from the brew kettle to the carboy, I filtered through a fine steel mesh screen... Most of the hop material was filtered out, and no other grain particles went into the brew kettle from the mash tun... Is it just a funky flocculation?

Interresting.. It's winter...so I have my my 2 carboys in my 38DD Mother of a fermentation chamber...and they're wrapped in an electric blanket (cuz my old ass house is cold).... I have a carboy with 5gal of a Raspberry wheat I made...and the 2nd has the Dog Slobber version of C3Cs....

I re-hydrated the S-05 yeast in approx 6oz of sanitized, boiled tap water..cooled to 70*F, pitched yeast in small flask... waited 20 minutes...pitched into 68*F wort...

The air lock's been bubbling for a day and a half, but haven't removed the blanket....Until tonight. The yeast cake on the bottom is all chunky... it looks as though it's made up of lots and lots of tiny little pebbles and rocks... It's not at all like the standard yeast cake "muck" pile we're all used to seeing. Any idea why it looks so different? When I transferred the wort from the brew kettle to the carboy, I filtered through a fine steel mesh screen... Most of the hop material was filtered out, and no other grain particles went into the brew kettle from the mash tun... Is it just a funky flocculation?

I"M not sure why either, I didn't make this recipe but I had something similar. I used 1056 and it created pillars on the first 2 days before subsiding to it's normal routine.

I"M not sure why either, I didn't make this recipe but I had something similar. I used 1056 and it created pillars on the first 2 days before subsiding to it's normal routine.

I remember seeing someone post pictures of the little yeast stalagmites... That was weird... kinda started looking like the eagle nebula
220px-Eagle_nebula_pillars.jpg

This makes a killer lager!! Added light candy syrup and used saaz hops instead of crystal. i used .5 6 row, S-23 lager yeast. All i can say is very smooth going from primary to secondary. Brewing another batch tonight, just going to skip the light candy syrup!:cross:
Many Thanks for this, has been my house brew!

I just added the sugar but made a 1000 ml starter. It turned out great!

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
14.4 oz Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)
0.60 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.60 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Made my first batch of this this weekend. Hoping it will be ready for the superbowl. Its pushing the timeline a bit, but fermentation started really quickly so hopefully it will be done soon. Im thinking 2 weeks primary a week in secondary with gelatin, and 2 weeks in the keg.

mlyday said:
Made my first batch of this this weekend. Hoping it will be ready for the superbowl. Its pushing the timeline a bit, but fermentation started really quickly so hopefully it will be done soon. Im thinking 2 weeks primary a week in secondary with gelatin, and 2 weeks in the keg.

Why so long? I've had this G2G in 4 weeks! 3 weeks primary 1 week keg.. First pour is a little hazy but after that it's clear!
Edit: Unless you plan on moving it around right before you pour it, that is!

I like the set and forget method of carbing. Its just easier. I could skip the secondary and use the gelatine in the keg. Ive done that before, and that would give it three weeks in primary. Ive had bad luck trying to carb it up too fast.

mlyday said:
I like the set and forget method of carbing. Its just easier. I could skip the secondary and use the gelatine in the keg. Ive done that before, and that would give it three weeks in primary. Ive had bad luck trying to carb it up too fast.

I do the same for brews I really want to carb properly but for a party keg (wich I do alot) I do the 30 psi for 48 hrs then down to serving pressure untill tapped, usually 5 to 7 days all together :)

I'll be kegging soon, but this was one of my last bottled batches. I let it stay in the primary for a month or a little longer. I could tell it was going to be wonderfully clear because right after bottling, they looked great. Tried one after one week, and it was already really nice.

I started brewing this last night, and had my biggest brewing blunder EVER.

I mashed, sparged, and started to heat my boil. I then came inside to watch TV with my wife, who apparently thought I was done. I fell asleep, and about 6 hours later, she woke me up to ask what that "bready" smell was. I ran out to the garage to find my 10 gallon batch reduced to about 2-3 gallons of vigorously boiling syrup. I basically made highly caramalized LME.

I'm glad I didn't burn down my garage! I'll probably never brew when I'm tired again.

Did you just add some water and continue?

I started my batch at 2 in the afternoon. With a 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil this ended up a long brewday, when all the cleanup was done it was nearly 8pm.

Brewing this beer this weekend, full 11.5G as my first double-batch attempt, starting early, rain or shine.

I started brewing this last night, and had my biggest brewing blunder EVER.

I mashed, sparged, and started to heat my boil. I then came inside to watch TV with my wife, who apparently thought I was done. I fell asleep, and about 6 hours later, she woke me up to ask what that "bready" smell was. I ran out to the garage to find my 10 gallon batch reduced to about 2-3 gallons of vigorously boiling syrup. I basically made highly caramalized LME.

I'm glad I didn't burn down my garage! I'll probably never brew when I'm tired again.

Damn that's scary! Shake it off and start your brew day early! I always brew on the weekend, usually at 6:00 AM. I just brewed my second batch of CO3C. The first one went in a flash.....

I usually brew early, but sometimes I'll squeeze a batch in after work when there's not much going on the next day, and I can sleep in.

This is a great recipe, but the syrup was dark as f***. I thought about throwing some water in and boiling, but then figured it would come out with WAY too much caramelized/melanoidin flavor.

Latest posts

Back