Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I can only fit about 5lbs total of grain for a good water to grain ratio when BIAB. So amylase will work? Is that the same as "diastic powder?" If so then I'll give that a go. Can get amylase cheaper I bet.
Edit: my brewpot is 5 gal

I'm gonna try this soon with

5.5 lb belgian pale malt
1.5 pound flaked corn
1 pound rice
And add one pound sugar to dry it out I read that BM did this to a few of his to crisp it up, I also want to rack half of it on to 3.5 pounds of strawberries, what do you Guys think?

No, I can only fit about 5lbs total of grain for a good water to grain ratio when BIAB. So amylase will work? Is that the same as "diastic powder?" If so then I'll give that a go. Can get amylase cheaper I bet.
Edit: my brewpot is 5 gal

AFAIK, they are the same.

I'm gonna try this soon with

5.5 lb belgian pale malt
1.5 pound flaked corn
1 pound rice
And add one pound sugar to dry it out I read that BM did this to a few of his to crisp it up, I also want to rack half of it on to 3.5 pounds of strawberries, what do you Guys think?

I think strawberries would go great with this as long as you keep the hops on the light side. I dry hopped mine with some Willamette and even those would overpower any strawberry.

Yeah I don't plan on adding any aroma or flavoring hops, I'll report back in a few weeks to let you guys know how it went

I just kegged this yesterday with 5 lbs of strawberries in the secondary for 2 weeks. It tasted good flat, but I'll report back too in a couple days when it's carbed.

Brewed this today though I accidentally read my hand written notes wrong and added .5 lb of Cyrstal 20L. Also, used Haullertaur hops as aroma.

I'd say if you're shortening the whole process, keep the beer on the yeast cake for two weeks. Rack it to a keg with gelatin and chill it. 30psi for 30 hours and taste test for carbonation. Should be pretty clear and clean tasting by then.

Can you keg with gelatin with good results under normal circumstances, or are you suggesting this due to the shortened time frame?

I frequently keg with gelatin. I just dump the first couple pints (or drink them with the expectation they will be cloudy).

Thinking of brewing this tomorrow to take on a golf trip in 2 weeks. The plan is brew tomorrow, 6/10, keg 6/17, and bottle some on 6/24. Think it'll be any good or would it need more time?

Thinking of brewing this tomorrow to take on a golf trip in 2 weeks. The plan is brew tomorrow, 6/10, keg 6/17, and bottle some on 6/24. Think it'll be any good or would it need more time?

It will probably be okay but as a rule I always ferment at least 2 weeks....

Good Luck! :mug:

I did the same thing, thinking it would be a quick turnaround but after 1 week in the keg, I hated it. After 4 weeks, it's a really nice beer.

Hello everyone! I have a question for you all. I have brewed three batches of this beer, altering the recipe slightly, but every time it's turned out better than the time before. However the last brew session presented a problem. A mix up caused an accidental addition of too much water to the wort before the boil. I had to boil longer than 90 minutes to boil off some of the excess. The beer fermented vigorously but appeared darker in color while bottling than the previous batches. The grain and hop bill was the same. What would be the cause of this? Will the flavor be significantly altered by such a long boil? Thanks!

A long boil will do that to you. Not sure what your best option might have been at the time... I guess it depends on how much extra water you added.

My first concern would be an oversparged flavor. Otherwise you could have brewed a second batch a little strong and mixed em. You're probably fine there if you added water after the fact (which I assume is the case, since you did say added water, not oversparged).

As far as the long boil, you're going to get darker colors, and a lot of melanoidin flavors (toasty, roasty, bready, or possibly even burnt). It's worth seeing through to the end now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. With such a light grain bill, those melanoidins probably will just add complexity. As long as you didn't caramelize too many of those sugars you'll probably be okay.

How'd it taste at bottling?

It tasted alright, nothing too odd or out of place. I bottled last Saturday so I guess we'll see how it turns out. I didn't oversparge, the water was added just before the boil. I'll post up how it turns out!

I brew this up at least once a month as it doesnt really last long. Just moved to a new house that has an electric stove so I didnt get as vigorous of a boil as I wanted but I still ended up with 6 gallons at 1.040

The last few batches I have done with cascade, this time I went with 2 oz of fuggles.

Finally brewed this one up last night. I did an 11.5 gallon batch but increased the grain bill to 14.5 lbs domestic, 5 lbs corn, and 1 lb rice. My efficencies have typically been consistently around 70%. Turns out I blew away my efficiency this batch with an 88%. I was shooting for OG of 1.048 and ended up with 1.060. I used 1.75 ounce of Willamette and Safale US-05. We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipe.

just transfered my first batch to kegs for carbing looks like I'll be brewing this once a monthalso going to do a citrus honey wheat this weekend

Going to try a whole lot of tweaking on this please let me know if it sounds wrong.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops V 1.5
Brewer: DVD
Asst Brewer:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (48.0) Easy drinking great Summer brew. Very similar to mass produced American Lite Lagers.
Tastes like a lager but it's an ale.
Balance is very nice no noticeable hop or malt.
Very crisp, refreshing and thirst quinching.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.41 %
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.57 %
3.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 16.22 %
2.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.50 oz Marynka [10.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
2.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs American Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP0Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 23.13 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
Going to try to lightly toast 2 lbs of the 2 row to expand the flavor profile.
Also changed the hops to Marynka and Saaz and resized the corn and rice.
Doing cereal mash and using real illinois corn for this as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made this recipe yesterday following the original recipe on the first page. I must have gotten some crazy efficiency cause I ended up with 11 gallons at 1.059 OG measured with both a refractometer and specific gravity. I do have a Kal electric brewery clone and he says he gets 95% efficiency.

Barry

I brewed the original recipe today too and got the same result with the foam at the hot break. To keep it from completely boiling over, I used a spoon to scoop it out as fast as I could. Within a couple minutes, it subsided and all went well. I actually exceeded my typical efficiency. Split brew into two, pitching safale 05 into one and Safbrew S-33 into the other, for a bit of fruitiness, I hope.
Is the foam from the protein in the rice? I've never used rice or flaked corn before, so this was a total experiment.
By far, this is the lightest brew I've ever done, but looking forward to it! You can only drink so many 10% beers.

Brewed this for the second time on Monday. This time I went 3 pounds two row, 3 pounds pilsner, 1.75 pounds maize, .75 pounds rice and a half pound sugar. Also went with 1 oz of crystal only, so it will be a bit under hopped. It is fermenting away with s05. The first batch was great, hopefully this will be good too.

Just tasted this for the first time from a keg. Had it on gas for a couple days and man this is a one good beer. My BMC freinds this weekend will probably polish the keg off. this is my 3rd batch of this brew and it is becoming a staple.

My first batch of this I thought had too much corn. I'm considering cutting the corn back to 1 lb and then upping the rice and maybe adding a lb of wheat. Any comments on this revision?

My LHBS seemed to think 3lbs of corn was really a truckload.

My first batch of this I thought had too much corn. I'm considering cutting the corn back to 1 lb and then upping the rice and maybe adding a lb of wheat. Any comments on this revision?

My LHBS seemed to think 3lbs of corn was really a truckload.

Sounds tasty to me. On my first go round I reduced the corn and upped the rice. A little wheat can't hurt.

Well, I brewed this batch yesterday and I would like to explain what happened and have someone please help me answer some questions I had.

1.) After I pitched the yeast, I came back an hour later to check on it and i noticed that my carboy looked like a black and tan. instead of the whole batch been a yellowish color, the bottom half was way darker than the top half. I did a 10 gallon batch and split it up between 2 carboys and both carboys looked the same. Does anyone know what this is? Why it occured and if this means I have a bad batch?? I thinking I burnt the wort some how?

After the yeast kicked it, it all mixed pretty well and i don't have the black and tan effect, the overall color is now darker than expected. When I was sparging, boiling, and chilling, the overall color was very light which is what I expected.

2.) I have a RIMS system and as soon as i mashed in and started to recirc, i got a stuck mash. I tried to back flow it 3-4 times but each time it got stuck. So instead of using my rims tube to maintain temp I just did a single infusion. I made sure I was at 152, put a lid on my keg and let it sit for 90 minutes. Anyway, this is the first time I used rice and corn. Is it typical to get a stuck mash on this type of brew? I didn't use any rice hulls and I'm thinking I should. My water PH was 5.4. Any advice?

update: below is a picture of it:

7511 003.JPG

Also, when i collected 9 1/2 gallons i took a reading with my refractometer and I got a reading of 1.009. I don't know to much about what that means. Can someone explain if that was getting to low or if i did get past the point of where you should stop taking a reading. Why is it important not to get past a certain point?

Same thing happened to me with the 2 tones in the fermentor. I'm guessing its just hot break material/proteins that are heavier than the material on top. Once the yeast startin chowin it all get mixed up. Mine is still in the fermentor, so can't tell you if its a bad thing or not. I'm guessing not though

I'll probably brew this again next week, and I have 1 lb of flaked wheat laying around that I'd like to throw in it. I'm thinking it would be pretty good. Anybody ever added flaked wheat to this and if so how was it? Should I do a protein rest to reduce chill haze?

SWMBO planned a party in 19 days and I need to have this on tap for BMC drinkers and beer pong. Looks like a great beer for it. Going to use all of my tricks for turning beer around quick. I'll let you know how it turns out. Looks like a great recipe.

Bachelor party demolished a batch of this. Great beer for drinking until 4am, then having two before breakfast and not stopping till 6am.

SWMBO planned a party in 19 days and I need to have this on tap for BMC drinkers and beer pong. Looks like a great beer for it. Going to use all of my tricks for turning beer around quick. I'll let you know how it turns out. Looks like a great recipe.

You should have no problems. I brewed this up for a camp out this weekend. I started on 6/23 put it in the kegerator on 7/5 to cold crash, and kegged it on 7/8 at 30 psi for like 36 hours before dropping it to 12 psi. Its already carbed and almost clear but tasting mighty fine right now.

diatonic said:

So what are the tricks

pola0502ds said:
So what are the tricks

Double pitching rate. Let temp free rise for 2nd half of primary. Gelatin at kegging. 30 psi for a couple days before dropping to serving pressure. **** like that :)

Gelatin at kegging, I do something like that. Here is what I normally do. Rack to a secondary, add gelatin, let sit for 3 days then rack to keg. Do you do it the same way or different.

With the gelatin I would like to know if i can actually add it to the primary, wait a few day and rack straight from the primary into the keg..

On another note, has anyone had the 2-tone color problem I listed above? Does anyone know what that means? Bad? Good?

Wow!!! This beer in fantastic. I primary fermented mine for 5 weeks and racked straight to Keg. It's extremely clear for only sitting in a primary. I had some serious fermentation. Used Dry Ale Safale US-05 and man did it go to work. Used a slightly higher grain bill and a few tweaks from the main recipe. My OG was 1.060 and my FG ended up at 1.005. I didn't believe it and checked the Hydrometer but it was correct. Very dry crisp smooth taste but gonna have a little more punch than expected at 7.1% ABV. Great recipe and thanks for sharing it with us all.

Latest posts

Back