Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flaked corn and flaked maze are the same thing. also the rice adds more fermentable sugars without adding much flavor or body to the mash.

Thanks. Maze makes this recipe a little more expensive then I expected heh.

You guys think this beer would have a funky smell if I dumped 2oz of the remaing hops at flameout (my hops come in 2oz bags)?

Brewing up my second version of this tomorrow during the Super Bowl.

wookielightv2.jpg

So I just got done making this and I tested my gravity...1.080 wtf!!!!

Looked back at the ingredients and totally missed that this was for a 10 gallon batch hahaha.

Well man I screwed this one up. You guys think this beer will end up being to alcoholy tasting since it is twice the gravity of what it should be?

Looked back at the ingredients and totally missed that this was for a 10 gallon batch hahaha.

Well man I screwed this one up. You guys think this beer will end up being to alcoholy tasting since it is twice the gravity of what it should be?

Dude you totally just brewed an Imperial Cream Ale. Epic.

Dude you totally just brewed an Imperial Cream Ale. Epic.

Heh. I just hope it doesn't make it taste way too strong but I guess we will see. It looks like it will be almost 10%....o man this is bad haha. :cross:

Heh. I just hope it doesn't make it taste way too strong but I guess we will see. It looks like it will be almost 10%....o man this is bad haha. :cross:

Cigar City Brewing over in Tampa did a double cream ale that came in around 9% and it was fantastic. A little citrusy, pretty sweet and bready with a rum like after taste. Keep me posted on the oops brew.

Will do. Should I follow the same time table or should I let this beer settle a bit more then 14 days in the primary?

Well man I screwed this one up. You guys think this beer will end up being to alcoholy tasting since it is twice the gravity of what it should be?[/QUOTE said:
Taste it when you are ready to bottle it. You may find that it turned out ok just really strong. You may be able to dilute it a bit with water and then carb it

Can I just pull the beer off the yeast prematurely so it doesn't attenuate too much?

It was bubbling away last night and I am about to go check on it now.

You still think 14 days in the primary and then 10 in the keg is the right way to go for this or let it sit in the primary for a little longer?

Im brewing 5.5 gallons of this tomrrow. The shop only had Williamette in leaf form and I have never used any hops other than pellets. Do I just throw them in like normal?

OK so after I laughed so hard at your gravity issues, I overshot my brew today by 40%. Whoa. How... It was my own recipe, so I can only blame myself or the software. I still can't figure out how Beersmith was so far off.

Ended up making a 10 gallon batch out of it just to hit my gravity. I'll probably have to adjust my IBUs once fermented.

Thanks for jinxing me :mug:

OK so after I laughed so hard at your gravity issues, I overshot my brew today by 40%. Whoa. How... It was my own recipe, so I can only blame myself or the software. I still can't figure out how Beersmith was so far off.

Ended up making a 10 gallon batch out of it just to hit my gravity. I'll probably have to adjust my IBUs once fermented.

Thanks for jinxing me :mug:

Haha. I honestly wish I had 10 gals of this instead of my 5 but I guess I will have to drink half as much as you heh.

Have made this beer twice. And twice have gotten the same weird taste I can't nail down. Coconutish I guess you would call it. None of my other beers have this before or since just this beer. Some have said that it's the yeast because it has not converted all the way. But it finished at 008. (but no I did not check conversion)
But I notice now that it requires a 90'min mash. I know I didn't do that. Would this cause coconut flavors?
The yeast was US05. Saaz hops. Mash temp might have been higher that the recipe calls for at 151.
Any thoughts on what this might be?

Have made this beer twice. And twice have gotten the same weird taste I can't nail down. Coconutish I guess you would call it. None of my other beers have this before or since just this beer. Some have said that it's the yeast because it has not converted all the way. But it finished at 008. (but no I did not check conversion)
But I notice now that it requires a 90'min mash. I know I didn't do that. Would this cause coconut flavors?
The yeast was US05. Saaz hops. Mash temp might have been higher that the recipe calls for at 151.
Any thoughts on what this might be?

Try cutting back on the corn and adding more rice. See if that tastes better to you.

My second batch of this is in the keg (SWMBO loves it) and both have suffered from chill haze. Going to try another batch tomorrow and thinking about a protein rest to see if I can avoid the haze. Any thoughts? Also going to tryp WLP001 instead of Safeale 05 on this one.

So I just measured my gravity after 14 days in the primary and it went from 1.080 to 1.012 haha. Might even get done a few more points but it looks like its basically a 9% cream ale. Gravity sample had a bit of a sharp alcohol flavor but that is to be expected. Gonna let this sit in the keg for another week and then see how it tastes.

So I just measured my gravity after 14 days in the primary and it went from 1.080 to 1.012 haha. Might even get done a few more points but it looks like its basically a 9% cream ale. Gravity sample had a bit of a sharp alcohol flavor but that is to be expected. Gonna let this sit in the keg for another week and then see how it tastes.

I say let it sit for a month or two in the keg cold conditioning. Pretty cool it finished that low too.

Tomorrow is brew day for me. I have had Cream of 3 Crops in the primary for 14 days and need to clear out my primary. Should I go ahead and bottle it or send it to a
2ndary for another week? Thanks!

Tomorrow is brew day for me. I have had Cream of 3 Crops in the primary for 14 days and need to clear out my primary. Should I go ahead and bottle it or send it to a
2ndary for another week? Thanks!

That all depends on if you think it needs the extra time to clear or mature. I'm assuming your grav is stabilized.

Made this brew a month or so ago and put it in the keg 2/4/11. Though the brew was clear in the carboy (after adding gelatin) it remains cloudy in the glass, (though it is a bit clearer than it was at the first beer from the keg).

The cloudyness is less strange than the taste, which is similar to a sweet fizzy beer without the carbonation mixed with a tad of soda. It almost tastes as if a little mountain dew was poured into the beer, as if the flavors are overshadowed by the strange sweetness. It tasted good before it was kegged; flat and warm, but still beery and smooth.

The keg had some star-san in it when we racked (foam/suds ended up pouring out as we filled the keg). Could that cause any problems?

The taste is bizarre. Anyone know a cause?/similar experience?

Made this brew a month or so ago and put it in the keg 2/4/11. Though the brew was clear in the carboy (after adding gelatin) it remains cloudy in the glass, (though it is a bit clearer than it was at the first beer from the keg).

The cloudyness is less strange than the taste, which is similar to a sweet fizzy beer without the carbonation mixed with a tad of soda. It almost tastes as if a little mountain dew was poured into the beer, as if the flavors are overshadowed by the strange sweetness. It tasted good before it was kegged; flat and warm, but still beery and smooth.

The keg had some star-san in it when we racked (foam/suds ended up pouring out as we filled the keg). Could that cause any problems?

The taste is bizarre. Anyone know a cause?/similar experience?

What was your original and final gravity?

O.G. was 1.052, Final gravity was 1.012

fermentation went strong with a high krausen for several days.

I didnt re-hydrate the yeast, which was Safale-05.

O.G. was 1.052, Final gravity was 1.012

fermentation went strong with a high krausen for several days.

I didnt re-hydrate the yeast, which was Safale-05.

Well it seems that the yeast had a nice long fermentation. The StarSan shouldn't cause any problems unless it was a lot.... I am curious myself :drunk:

Well it seems that the yeast had a nice long fermentation. The StarSan shouldn't cause any problems unless it was a lot.... I am curious myself :drunk:

Yeah, It tasted OK when checking the gravity, it was only after being put in the keg that it had the off taste. I was fairly sure that even alot of star san would not affect the taste, but its the main thing I can imagine. Could mold give consistent off tastes?

Yeah, It tasted OK when checking the gravity, it was only after being put in the keg that it had the off taste. I was fairly sure that even alot of star san would not affect the taste, but its the main thing I can imagine. Could mold give consistent off tastes?

Doubt it's mold. Since it's also pouring cloudy, I suspect you may be pulling excess yeast sediment off the bottom of the keg. That would give you some immediate flavor impact.

Try removing your dip tube and either bending it a bit sharper to get it off the bottom of the keg by 1", or if it's a straight tube...simply cut off a 1/4 inch.

Drawing yeast sediment is a pretty common cause of chronic cloudiness and overly yeasty drafts.

Listen to BierMuncher.... he know TONS more than me!!

So after only a few days in the keg the alcohol flavor has mellowed a bit. Should be even better with time.

Had three last night and was feeling it heh.

Just brewed up 5 gallons of this today. Hit 78% so I'm @ 1.044. I threw in .5 oz Sweet Orange Peel @ 3 minutes to further appeal to the BMC drinkers.

Thanks again BM. I've also made your Oktoberfast and Centennial Blonde (20 gallons) and absolutely love them both.

Brewed my second batch of this a few weeks ago. Bumped the corn to 1.5 lbs and used 2 lbs rice solids. It is better using the original recipe of 2.5 corn to 1 lb rice. Still a great beer though!

Wow!!! I was aiming for a 6 gallon batch and I ended up getting 94% efficiency with this grain bill.

6lb Briess 2-row
2lb flaked corn
1lb enriched white rice (rinsed until the water was clear to remove the vitamins)

I did a 30 minute protein rest (for the rice) and a 60 minute mash with two 1.75 gallon sparges and a 75 minute boil and ended up with 6.33 gallons of 1.047 gravity wort.

Back