Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just finished sparging and waiting for the boil to start. i changed it up a bit and used 1 oz williamette and 1 oz saaz . this is my first ag so i am excited. Had some minor set backs so we will see what happened. Overshot my mash temp by 10 degrees. panicked and added cold water then temp was too low so i had to turn the burner back on. Also forgot to calculate in loss of water due to grain absorbing.

Worst case scenario Ill add in some dme to boost the gravity.

just finished sparging and waiting for the boil to start. i changed it up a bit and used 1 oz williamette and 1 oz saaz . this is my first ag so i am excited. Had some minor set backs so we will see what happened. Overshot my mash temp by 10 degrees. panicked and added cold water then temp was too low so i had to turn the burner back on. Also forgot to calculate in loss of water due to grain absorbing.

Worst case scenario Ill add in some dme to boost the gravity.

Always give your mash some time for the temp to equalize out, 5-10 minutes will make a big difference, unless, that is, you heated your strike water in the mash tun. Stirring with the lid off also drops temps. If I'm still high on the temp I will stir more and add a handful of ice cubes at a time while stirring if needed. For me, 5-6 cubes in the mash, stirred in well, will make about 2˚ difference.

Always give your mash some time for the temp to equalize out, 5-10 minutes will make a big difference, unless, that is, you heated your strike water in the mash tun. Stirring with the lid off also drops temps. If I'm still high on the temp I will stir more and add a handful of ice cubes at a time while stirring if needed. For me, 5-6 cubes in the mash, stirred in well, will make about 2˚ difference.

thanks, i think i just rushed through everything and then freaked out. ive done a huge amount of extract batches, a partial mash and decided to make the jump. im using deathbrewers stovetop ag style.

Cant wait to see what this turns out to be like.

Yeah my first AG was more stressful than work even though everything went right. Slow down RDWHAHB I just brewed this beer and Murphys Law was in full effect however I know it is very hard to screw up a beer so I am not worried.

6 hours later boil is done, chilled to 60 pitched notty at sealed the fermenter up. I guess i freaked out earlier cause I was ok on post boil volume, only missed 5 gallons by half of a gallon. Not bad on my first try, My og was slightly higher than the op of 1.040, mine came out to 1.050. Drinking a stout to celebrate a job well done.

No worries I did just as bad, my Pre Boil gravity was 1.040 with about a gallon to much wort. I screwed up big time somewhere :p Luckily I didn't boil off to much so I get more beer.

I know this has probly been asked already but well their are tons and tons of posts on this recipe

but has anyone experimented with different yeast for this one?

i was thinking of splitting it into 5 1 gallons and trying out a lager, Irish yeast, hefenweizen (sp?) and nottingham plus possibly trying a lambic

other than the lambic anyone tried any of these for this?

As well has anyone ever tried to boil this way down and add more sugar to make a really strong beer out of this? i picked up a 25abv tolerant yeast strain and i wanna try it :)

Yeah I agree with philrose. As for your 25 abv yeast I would probably try to use it in something a bit larger, something like an Imperial Stout. I don't think this beer would be very good for high ABV as it is too light and the alcohol would come out way too much.

I have made this beer and IMHO I don't think it is anything special; just a beer for your run of the mill folk to drink, don't go trying to make a Rogue from a Miller.

I force carbed it today and am a little worried. Came out looking as light and pale as lemon juice (I guess that's the corn speaking) and having little to no flavor.

I guess time will tell. I think I under did the grains.

I did a 5 gallon batch with
5 lb pale 2-row
2 lb flaked maize
12 oz Minute Rice
.5 oz Crystal and
.5 oz Williamette

Thats about how I brew mine, .5 lb Rice, 1.75 lbs corn, and about 5 lbs 2 row. What was your OG and Fg?

I force carbed it today and am a little worried. Came out looking as light and pale as lemon juice (I guess that's the corn speaking) and having little to no flavor.

I guess time will tell. I think I under did the grains.

I did a 5 gallon batch with
5 lb pale 2-row
2 lb flaked maize
12 oz Minute Rice
.5 oz Crystal and
.5 oz Williamette

i did 5.5 lb 2 row
2.5 flaked maize
1lb flake rice

Thats about how I brew mine, .5 lb Rice, 1.75 lbs corn, and about 5 lbs 2 row. What was your OG and Fg?

I couldn't get an OG but the FG is 1.08 :confused: . It is starting to grow on me, but the color is still off and tart

Turned out pretty good. A bit too much corn-ish sweetness for me - maybe that will mellow out with aging. But I will revise it a bit when I make it again because it is otherwise excellent. Also my friend who said he doesn't drink "dark beer" when I cracked open a pale ale likes it quite a bit too.

Sterling hops turned out great.

I just poured my first today and I have to say it starts off nice but then I'm hit with huge corn flavour.... I don't like it at all actually. I'm not being beer snobbish, I actually still drink bud or Molson at times, but this was too strong. I think for my next 5 gallon batch I'd cut the corn in half.

I really don't think it's DMS either... I did a 90min boil.

I gotta say that if you are tasting more than a faint corn flavor there is probably something wrong with your process. Fully converted, well attenuated examples of the recipe turn out very clean and crisp.

So what could be the potential problem then?

Not hitting a good mash temp? I had mine vary but I kept it pretty steady the whole time.

Just finished my first batch of this on my new upgraded equipment.

I was suppose to end up with 5.50 gal from an 8 gal 90 min boil but ended up with 6.25 gal. MY Pre- boil gravity was 1.031 and post boil gravity ended at 1.044. The only thing that was off was my IBUs I was suppose to have 14.4 IBUs but with not boiling off the amount that BTP said I should I ended up with only 12.2 IBUs.

How is this going to effect the taste?

I just poured my first today and I have to say it starts off nice but then I'm hit with huge corn flavour.... I don't like it at all actually. I'm not being beer snobbish, I actually still drink bud or Molson at times, but this was too strong. I think for my next 5 gallon batch I'd cut the corn in half.

I really don't think it's DMS either... I did a 90min boil.

Weird. I have a sort of corn sweetness thing going on but it isn't by any means overwhelming and people really like it. I had excellent efficiency and ended up just below 6% abv, so I'm giving them more time in the bottle.

I used 5.5lbs 2-row, 2lbs flaked corn, 1.5lbs minute rice, mashed at 152 for 90 minutes, boiled for 90 minutes. OG 1.048, FG 1.003.

I feel like once I bring these back out of storage it's going to be in huge demand around here :)

Ok was wondering if BM or anyone could help me on this

I made this AG 2 weeks ago. My OG was a bit high, around 1.050.

My mash temps was around 148-150.

I took a gravity reading a 2 weeks, it was at 1.010. I racked to gelatin in the secondary for 3 days then am cold crashing prior to kegging.
The recipe is as follows

6 lbs two row
2 lbs corn
14 oz lbs rice

I am targeting the 27th to drink this.

My problem is this. When i tasted the hydro sample it wasn't bad but i caught a green apple/cider tinge. In the past during my many failed batches I made a sour beer by not cooling wort down.

This one is by the book. over sanitized everything, immersion chiller to cool down etc etc.

Is my beer just a little green at 2 weeks, will it subside?

I am having a party on the 27th and its a homebrew coming out party, 4 drafts and a chance to change 40 peoples minds about home brewed beer. This one was for the BMC crowd, the most picky.

I just made this beer an it is at 2 weeks right now. I don't think you should be tasting a cidery flavor in this beer at all from my past experience. What temp did you ferment at and what yeast did you use? It could just be a little bit of some esters.

Also could be Acetaldehyde which forms during ethanol creation and has a green apple/pumpkin taste that will fade with age. Can get excessive with warm fermentation etc.

If it got infected with acetobacter then you will get a rotten cidery flavor and smell.

If you pulled out all sanitization stops then I would guess it is just some acetaldehyde and not worry about it and age it cold for the next couple weeks. However if it is acetobacter your only choice now would be to pasturize immediatly and keg it or dump it.

I would wait for some more pro advice though :)

I am leaning towards the esters as the cider flavor is not pronounced.

It was with Nottingham never got above 68 while fermenting

I really feel like I pulled out all the stops on the sanitation so I hope that its the just the esters. i just wont know i guess for a few more weeks

Yeah thats what I would do too. If it is bacteria it will progress fairly quickly and you will know fairly soon.

Ok i racked it to the keg today and will let it sit for another week then cold crash. this wasnt my original plan, however when taking a gravity sample i lost the stopper, thus forcing my hand

I held my nose tasting it again and there is no hint of any apple in the taste only the smell

so I am thinking esters and Acetaldehyde

is this what they mean "green beer"

Well against better judgment I threw caution to the wind and used this grain bill as a base for making a big sazz based lagerish thing, I brewed yesterday.
I used my portable RIMS for the first time and even used it to ramp up the temp as a mashout, for whirlpool and for CIP of the IC/kettle. I got almost 75% efficiency so I'm pleased.

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 7.4 gallons
Boil time 90 minutes
Grain weight 13.3 pounds
Efficiency 75%
Original gravity 1.064
Final gravity 1.008
Alcohol (by volume) 7.3%
Bitterness (IBU) 47
Color (SRM) 3.2°L
Yeast
26 dry grams
Dry
Fermentis Safale US-05

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
13.3 pounds
2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 8.5 pounds
63.9%
Corn (Flaked)
39ppg, 0.5°L 2.5 pounds
18.8%
Rice (Flaked)
38ppg, 0.5°L 1.8 pounds
13.5%
Rice (Hulls)
1ppg, °L 0.5 pounds
3.8%

Mash
90 minutes, 9.7 gallons

Boil

90 minutes, 7.4 gallons
Saaz hops
4.4%, Pellet 1 ounces
FWH

Willamette hops
4.8%, Whole 1.75 ounces
90 minutes (+0)
Saaz hops
4.4%, Pellet 1 ounce
15 minutes (+75)
Saaz hops
4.4%, Pellet 1 ounce
5 minutes (+85)
Perle hops
8.2%, Pellet 0.75 ounces
5 minutes (+85)
Spalter hops
2.6%, Pellet 0.75 ounces
5 minutes (+85)

waht about caacade or Centennial for the hops have in bulk would like to use

Cascade or Cent will be fine I am sure...this beer is so low hoped that you could get away with using anything. If I were to up the hops I think I would use something like cascade to give it a crisp and refreshing feel anyways.

Sorry if this has been ask before....

what would you recommend for the amount of time it should stay in the primary?

Also I bottle and would like to know how long this should say in the bottles before drinking?

So far this brew has been in the primary for almost a full 2 weeks but if leaving it in for one more week would help it taste better I will leave it there for one more week before I bottle it up.

All beer will taste better with 'one more week' with maybe the exception of wheat beer. With that said I bottle after two weeks with this beer and it comes out good. I make CoTC because it is fast and drinkable so I am not gonna tie up valuable brewing space with it.

hey guys brewed this sat and undershot my water. ended up at 1.056. didnt have any water boiled to top off so left it at 4.5 gallons. anyone see any huge problem with this?

Nah...I don't think you could do much to screw up this beer.

On a side note I have never boiled water before I use it for brewing in any situation, I don't think anything crazy is living in my water supply howevr YMMV

finally got this brew into the bottles (Man I hate bottling). Anyway the fg got to 1.008 from 1.044 which gave me a ABV% of 4.67.
The sample tasted good and I hope this is a sign of things to come :mug:

hey guys brewed this sat and undershot my water. ended up at 1.056. didnt have any water boiled to top off so left it at 4.5 gallons. anyone see any huge problem with this?

You can always top off with water before bottling/kegging if needed, or just enjoy the extra strength. I have brewed this recipe scaled up to 7% abv and it's delicious (to me)

Back