Cream of tarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
I have noticed that cream of tarter is used in commercially produced soft drinks and in a number of soda recipes. What is it that cream of tarter does for soft drinks?

Im not 100% sure. I know it is used to make invert sugar. Maybe its used in making corn syrup too?

I use cream of tartar in several "weird" things- in meringue, and in making play dough for the grandkids.

The reason is that it is is a stabilizer. Sure, it's acidic (it's made from tartaric acid remnants in winemaking) but it when you use it to make meringue, a little cream of tartar will strengthen the formation of bubbles and help prevent the whipped egg meringue from collapsing too quickly.

So for soda, it's used for stabilizing the foam of the carbonation. It can be left out, but it seems just a wee better in soda with it.

I hope that makes sense!

Could it stabilize soda water?
I'm having trouble keeping my sparkling water carbonated. The bubbles dissipate very rapidly upon serving. I want something to fizz like a commercial soda water.

I'm force carbing at about 35.6 degrees and about 45psi. My serving line is about 10 feet.

Could it stabilize soda water?
I'm having trouble keeping my sparkling water carbonated. The bubbles dissipate very rapidly upon serving. I want something to fizz like a commercial soda water.

I'm force carbing at about 35.6 degrees and about 45psi. My serving line is about 10 feet.

In that case, the serving line is simply too short. you need about 1' for every 1 psi of pressure- but something like 30' might be enough if you're lucky. For me, serving soda at 30 psi was better with 30' of 3/16" serving line, but I could get by with 25' in the kegerator.

In that case, the serving line is simply too short. you need about 1' for every 1 psi of pressure- but something like 30' might be enough if you're lucky. For me, serving soda at 30 psi was better with 30' of 3/16" serving line, but I could get by with 25' in the kegerator.
Ok, I'll look into getting a longer line. The internal diameter is 6.5mm(not sure of the imperial) but it's just fractionally too small for the quick disconnect barb so that I had to warm the hose with a hairdryer to get it over the barb and it's super tight. I was thinking about getting an even narrower line and MacGyvering the ends to work with my quick disconnector and picnic tap, but if it takes 2 minutes to fill a glass maybe it isn't worth it.

It's really smooth and kind of slick, would it help to get a less smooth line?
What about those taps that snap right onto a corny? Do they reduce foaming enough?

In regards to cream of tartar, how much would a person want to start with in a 5 gallon batch of root beer? I'm assuming you wouldn't need much, but I'm not even sure of what a starting point would be.

Thanks again for the help.

I don't know if root beer is the same but I use a heaped tablespoon for one corny of ginger beer.

I use cream of tartar in several "weird" things- in meringue, and in making play dough for the grandkids.

The reason is that it is is a stabilizer. Sure, it's acidic (it's made from tartaric acid remnants in winemaking) but it when you use it to make meringue, a little cream of tartar will strengthen the formation of bubbles and help prevent the whipped egg meringue from collapsing too quickly.

So for soda, it's used for stabilizing the foam of the carbonation. It can be left out, but it seems just a wee better in soda with it.

I hope that makes sense!

I use it in my play dough as well. They don't carry it at HEB down here so I have to go to Target and pay a stupid amount for that tiny jar.

Back