Cream Ale: too make it Imperial or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4you15

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was planning on making a pretty basic cream ale shortly and was thinking about bumping up the abv a bit with some extra extract and sugar, but was concerned this might take it too far out of style or give it some odd flavors. My reason for doing so is that I'd like a bit more than 4% abv, and thought "what if I took it even farther and made an imperial version?"

I'm going for this type of beer because I'd like to have an easier drinking beer on tap along with some of my heavier options. Let me know what you think of the two recipes below!

Typical Verision:
- 0.75 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
- 0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit
- 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
- 1 oz Cluster (60 min)
- Safele US-05

Imperial Verison:
- 6 lbs Pilsen Malt Syrup (60 min addition)
- 3 lbs Pilsen DME (15 min late addition)
- 1 lb Corn Sugar (15 min late addition)
- 1 oz Cluster (60 min)
- 1 oz Crystal (30 min)
-Safale US-05

There are a couple possible problems with that. First is the balance of the beer. Getting the right balance between maltiness and bitterness is of concern and I don't know if your addition of Crystal at 30 will get you there. The other is that you want an easy drinking beer but by raising the ABV too far you get something else and a beer that needs more time to mature.

How about just going with a proven recipe that gets you to about 5% alcohol. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=575838

I'd try and find a clone recipe of Abita Andygator which is a 8-10% ABV Helles, and incredibly easy to drink. I'd compare the clone recipe to what you are looking to do and go from there.

I'd try and find a clone recipe of Abita Andygator which is a 8-10% ABV Helles, and incredibly easy to drink. I'd compare the clone recipe to what you are looking to do and go from there.

I hate easy to drink high alcohol beers. It makes me walk funny and make poor decisions.:D:rockin:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

RM-NM,

That recipe looks great, but I already have most of the ingredients that I listed in my first post (aside from the grains) and was hoping to build a recipe around those for convenience. Although I'm thinking about toning down the 'imperial' version for some of the reasons you stated.

Rush,

That beer sounded awesome at face value! Only issue is that I'm not really set up for lagering my beers keeping them at temps lower than 60 unfortunately...

I'm playing around with some other ideas still and welcome any thoughts that you all might have!

High alcohol Cream Ale is like putting a jet engine on a golf cart...not necessary. The style implies it is a refreshing sessionable, lawn mower beverage.

You could find a heavier "light beer" in an american blonde ale, and would use very similar ingredients as a cream ale would. I also think a blonde is a better platform from which to experiment in terms of pushing this way or that (malt or hops).

I think I've decided to go somewhat in between the two recipes I listed earlier..

I'm thinking:
6lbs Pilsen LME
1lb Corn Sugar (15 min)

.75 oz Crystal (60 min)
.25 oz Cluster (15 min)

Safale US-05

This puts me at 22 ibus (just over the 8-22 ibu style range) and about 5.44% abv.

Any thoughts on the recipe? It seems incredibly simple but after all of the research I've been doing, it seems consistent with the other recipes I can find.

Back