Crazy banana smell/flavor in a Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsit

Reaction score
It's day 12 after fermentation started on a 1.056 pale ale with WLP299 (AHS Persica Ale yeast). It's at 1.008, the krausen has fallen (visible activity stopped about 4 or 5 days ago).

When I took a sample it had a very strong banana odor and flavor. This yeast is supposed to have more of a peach ester, if anything. I pitched at 70, and maintained an internal temperature (with a probe and temp controller inside an insulated container) at 69 degrees. It never fluctuated more than half a degree.

Should I be worried about this beer tasting like it is supposed to be a heff? I planned on letting it go another few days and dry hop for another week. I used this same yeast before and had no issues like this at the same temp.

Please advise.

Persica has fruity esters, but shouldn't have a huge amount of banana. You pitched a little warm, but not too bad. Maybe give it an extra week before you dry hop, and see if the yeast clean up a little more.

Yea I was hoping to bring out more of the fruity esters in this batch, as the last batch had a decent hint of the peach, but I was hoping to bring it out a little more. Maybe I brought it out too much?

Back