Craziest Ideas That Actually Worked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpySquirrel

Reaction score
I went through a phase where all I wanted to do was try something different and a bit crazy. Some of the things I've tried, and their results:

- Shogun IPA: A Japanese inspired IPA with green tea, ginger, rice and all Sorachi Ace Hops. Result: Failure. Not sure what happened, but I really hated it.
- Stout Chocula: Made a stout with Count Chocula cereal after a friend sent me an article about a brewery that bought a retailers entire supply. Result: Success! Took first place in monthly homebrew club competition and I love it.
- Fire Breathing Marmot: A habanero mango wheat beer, balancing fruity with a bit of spice. Result: Success! Took 3 full habaneros in a 2.5 gallon batch, but a lingering spice balances well with the fruitiness of the mango.

So I'm curious... what has everyone else done? I'm sure there are some way crazier experiments that have worked out.

My team placed Top Ten in a brewery competition with roasted prickly pear fruit and pink peppercorn in a Tripel.

For the Stout Chocula, do you have to do anything special during the mash to get the fat out of the cereal? I've heard that the fats can later become rancid and that it negatively effects head retention. What % of your bill is the Count Chocula?

I did a S'morter. I mashed chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows and added more chocolate to the boil. It was delicious til I added chocolate to the secondary and ruined it. I blame Choklat from Southern Tier for giving me high hopes on chocolate flavor

Big thumbs up on the names, man! Coming up with cool brew names is a skill I have yet to master.

I did a S'morter. I mashed chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows and added more chocolate to the boil. It was delicious til I added chocolate to the secondary and ruined it. I blame Choklat from Southern Tier for giving me high hopes on chocolate flavor

I have a s'mores milk stout I'm planning on brewing soon (I have 4 milk stouts -- one inspired by each season) as my Summer Milk Stout.

Planned on using meadowfoam honey for that roasted marshmallow flavor. Brown sugar, light molasses, and cinnamon sticks for the graham cracker. And some peated malt for the smokiness. Chocolate malt and cocoa powder for obvious reasons. Then cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans in the secondary.

I have no idea if it will work.. but damn if I'm not excited to try. ;)

I have a s'mores milk stout I'm planning on brewing soon (I have 4 milk stouts -- one inspired by each season) as my Summer Milk Stout.

Planned on using meadowfoam honey for that roasted marshmallow flavor. Brown sugar, light molasses, and cinnamon sticks for the graham cracker. And some peated malt for the smokiness. Chocolate malt and cocoa powder for obvious reasons. Then cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans in the secondary.

I have no idea if it will work.. but damn if I'm not excited to try. ;)

So when you do these expiremental brews like this... do you go for broke and see how it truns out, or do you break the batch down into saller batches to try multiple amounts and variances to see which one is best for the big brew next time?

I usually go for broke, but in smaller amounts than I originally think I need. I've had people tell me I should experiment with less additions and see how each is first, but honestly, each addition is going to effect the other so just because the levels of vanilla are good in one batch, doesn't mean it's still good once I add the cinnamon, or the chocolate, or etc, etc, etc. So for me, I'd rather include everything.

I'll start somewhat low on the levels, and adjust as necessary.

I meant more like.. break down a 5 gollon batch into 5 - 1gallon trials. Put 1/2 of chocolate, 1/2 cinnamon, etc. in one, 3/4 in another, 1/2 choc 3/4 cinn in another.. etc. to nail down those I need more of this less of this quicker?

Ahh.. gotcha.. ehh.. I guess I could, but I don't really have the patience for that to be honest. I also have limited kettles and since most everything in a recipe like this goes in the boil (outside of some vanilla and cinnamon in secondary), it would require me to do 4-5 separate boils...

... ain't nobody got time for that.

gotcha. I've always wanted to do experimental stuff.. never ad the gaul to pull the trigger on 5 gallons of something that might not even have a chance of being drinkable lol.

Someone mentioned that I should start mashing for 30 mins, and I did.

Beer-Its-Beautiful.gif

Im not one for weird ingredients, but I once, in a drunken haze, made a christmas biere de garde with fresh figs off the tree and Mediterranean/North African spices. It came out far, far better than it should have and was very well received.

Back