Craigslist score - Recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbrew

Reaction score
Scored a nice lot of of fresh grains, fermentables and adjuncts from Craigslist today for $20. Now I need some recipe suggestions.
Thinking it would be fun to put together a recipe using only the craigslist ingredients, plus hops and yeast, since they were not included.

Was thinking about a saison, but the two-row is throwing me off.

The $20 list:

60 lb - two-row :rockin:
1 lb - roasted barley
2 lb - acid malt
1 lb - caravienne malt
1 lb - chocolate malt
1 lb - black patent malt
2.5 lb - cara foam malt
1 lb - crystal malt (60°l)

2 lb - light Belgian candi sugar
1 lb - light candi sugar
1 lb - maltodextrin
1.5 lb - corn sugar

2oz - cinnamon sticks
2oz - Indian sarsaparilla

2row, Crystal 60L, Chocolate malt, Roasted Barley... Hmm, smells like a stout to me. With 60 lbs of 2 row, you have enough grains for a MONSTER of an RIS that you could make now, and save until next winter. Or you could brew a smaller dry stout.

You also could do a Porter with 2 row, Chocolate and Crystal 60.

Your Saison idea might work, but I usually think of Pilsner and Wheat malt, not 2 row for that, though...

You could also do a Belgian Dark Strong(ish) beer with candi sugar, chocolate malt, caravienne, and 2 row...

How about a simple IPA with 2 row and crystal 60? You have LOTS of choices with that grain bill.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My first thought was also a dry stout. Just was thinking of doing something different with the spices. I have never really used them or the cadi sugars before.

Maybe I will stick with a stout and IPA for the first two, and see what I have left (besides 2-row). Could just pick up some extra chocolate malt and also make the Belgian dark as a 3rd.

You are correct. LOTS of choices.

Back