Craft Beer people are the BEST People

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure this has been posted before, but this has been a bit of a magical week for me.

First, I got to go to the GABF Members Only session. Sooo many incredible beers, but the highlight was the people I met. I've previously met Sam Calagione from DFH, as well as Jim Koch. Both very friendly and wanting to talk about craft beer.

This time, I met Dan Carey from New Glarus (quiet, a little shy), John Pinkerton (poured me a full glass of beer for a good picture / chatted for 4-5 minutes), and Michael Dawson from Wyeast (super friendly, sorry if it makes me lame but I love BTV). I met one of the brewers of Maui Brewing, he asked me which brews I recommended!

Then, just tonight, I was in an awesome bottle shop called Stearms liquor. Incredible selection (both of my favorite beers, Allagash Currieux and Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad available). Got some great recommendations, including a Clown Shoes RIS, bought 5 bottles. One of the owners gave us a bottle of Pliny!

I am a Sales Manager by trade, and have to travel about the country to make my living. I have been to scores of brewpubs, breweries, and beer stores. While my record isn't 100%, the vast majority of Beer People I meet are friendly, passionate, and interested in discussing and sharing good Craft Beer. When I share that I am a homebrewer, the vast majority are highly interested in what I like to brew.

Have you had similar experiences? Why is it that Craft Beer is such a friendly, passionate, interested group of people? Why does it seem to be fairly jackass-proof? The more experiences with Craft Brewers I have, the more I feel that we have a unique, positive, supportable culture, that seems to run contrary to life in general, and I truly wonder why. It is a good thing, how do we replicate it elsewhere in life?

Well......we do like to drink pretty heavily. This is probably the only hobby in the world where being freindly and outgoing is a self-serving benefit, and can feed your own vice at very little to no additional cost simply by acquiring info from other like-minded individuals.

In addition, I've never had a hangover on craft beer, and know very few people who have, so it seems we get all the benefits of the alcohol without any of the grouchiness associated with consuming only commercial products. I usually feel more energetic and outgoing after a night of consuming some HB.

We like beer. We like people. We like to share beer WITH people. Good formula all around. :tank:

There's no way for this thread or comments within to not sound self serving. Because of that I'll just reply with:

Yeah, we rock.

Out of the two Careys from New Glarus, Dan just loves to stay in New Glarus and brew (you are right, he is quiet) and Deb, his wife is always in the news with the president or getting big awards from the state. She is nice too, but she is the public person, Dan is beer guy who comes up with all those great beer ideas.

I wouldn't say it's "jackass proof", I have known a few people I would like to see soundly kicked by a 4 legged jackass... BUT, you are right that the vast majority of people in the industry are wonderfully warm, friendly, intelligent and fun folks. There is a real camaraderie, and it is down to this one simple fact; we all have a passion for beer.

Back