Craft beer and the cold chain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnduthie

Reaction score
What are your guys and girls thoughts on the idea that unfiltered and unpasteurized beer needs to keep in the cold chain, or else it goes off?

This article ( http://brewmistress.co.za/craft-beer-cold-chain/) deals with it, as many Brewers in South Africa have used it as an excuse for bad beer.

How long do you think you can keep a beer in the heat before it is passed drinking quality?

Depends on the temp, I've had beer sitting around in bottles at 65-80 for months and no ill effect (ie. still drank and enjoyed). Now when we start talking 80+ I can't say, never often got that hot where I lived and the beer had their own dark little closet.

Colder storage = better flavor stability. All chemical reactions go faster at warmer temperatures.

30C - 35C (86F - 95F) is not a good storage range for beer.

I keep most of my beer in my cellar, which ranges from 40F in the winter to 70F in the summer. My beers store fairly well over long periods at that range.

"The cold chain." What a bizarre name.

Well, it's been well-known for a very very long time now that storing beers at high temperatures will destroy them much faster, which is one of the reasons why virtually everyone in existence says you should story beer that is read to drink in the 40-50F / 4-10C temperature range. If you think it's okay storing your beers in the 90s (F) or the 30s (C), then you are insane.

Back