Cracked fermentation pail lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyklopz

Reaction score
Hi, all.

So, I started a new batch yesterday, and I fit the lid onto my pail at the end, inserted the air lock cork... and the stupid lid cracked from the air lock hole out-- about an inch long from the air lock hole.

Yesterday was a holiday, otherwise I would have ran right out and bought a new lid. But, as it was, I found some duct tape, inserted the air lock, and let it sit.

This morning, I go to check on it and foam has pushed itself up through the tape & the crack (and even forced itself into the air lock!)

Now, I'll be getting a new lid today, but what are the chances this batch is a write-off? Also, considering this foam has come into contact with my non-sanitized duct tape?

If I end up buying a whole new pail-- should I rack it over properly with tubing or should I just pour the whole batch into the new pail?

Thanks!

It will be fine. The chance that it's gotten infected is slim to none. If you buy a new bucket I would just save it for the next batch. Just replace your lid and it should be good to go. If you really feel like you need to transfer it I would use a siphon at this point.

Respectfully disagree with Dave on the risk level. He is right, it will probably be fine. Right now the foam and co2 are pushing out so it will be difficult for bacteria, etc. to get in. When it starts to fall you will have left sticky dried stuff left that bacteria will love and less co2 being created to keep it out. To me that is higher than slim to none, but not an automatic. Even if something gets in, your yeast will ikely win. Just swap the lid from the new bucket if foam still exiting when you get to it. If you must move then rack, aerating the wort with a pour at this point is a hell of a lot riskier than the little crack.

Cool.

I replaced the lid yesterday, and the foam had, indeed, dissipated into a sticky film.

But the beer on the inside was looking good. I capped the pail with a new (sanitized) lid and the newly cleaned airlock started bubbling within a few hours.

I read on a blog somewhere on these forums [revvy?] that beer has been made for thousands of years, and if it was super easy to infect, our unsanitary ancestors would have given it up a long time ago.

So, hopefully my yeast will seek and destroy anything that may have crawled in during the few hours the foam had shrunk away.

Latest posts

Back